May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Thruxton), 661 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,056
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Geo. Newbern #158466 08/20/09 07:40 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I took apart a friends 16ga that was doing the same thing. I found that the little curled ends of the spring that hold the roller's axle where worn or misshaped.

This caused the axle to slide to one side and release the tension from the spring/roller. The fit of the top tang in the stock kept the pin/roller from coming all the way out. the pin rubbing on the stock made the safety feel tight in normal use.

I did a little reshaping of the end of the spring so the axle and roller stayed in place and the problem went away.

As to the action opening, on the gun I worked on, the top tang had to be pushed way to the right before the safety was set back to safe.

garyg #158480 08/20/09 09:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a very early 16 ga AE Fox with snap on Sterlingworth type forend. When i shot it top lever would move to right slightly. I changed and shimmed top lever spring,that did not help. Had spring so strong could hardly push top lever over. Changed top rotary bolt,same thing. Forend was extremely hard to remove and later i put a new old stock blade in forend hook,the piece that causes friction to hold forend on tight. Shot gun later and lever did not move and forend is easier to remove. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dennis Potter

My guess is that the gun is opening slightly when fired, and is pushing the auto safe on. Take a small lump of the oil-based modeling clay kids use, load and close the gun, place the ball of clay just to the right of the back of the top lever. Push it on smartly, but so it protrude above the bottom of the lever. Firing the gun will tell. If you have to pick up the clay from the ground, you have found the culprit. Now, what causes it to open on firing?

That's what I was hinting at in my first post. If the gun is well worn, with the lever to the left and the barrel flats contacting the watertable, they will "bounce" upon firing and the lever will open just enough to actuate the safety rod. Gerald says the gun is tight. But if it has had work done (metal added)on the hook and it was not properly mated to the bolt, there can be a wedge effect that causes the gun to start to open when fired.

Smoke the barrel extension (hook) slot, or color the inside of the hook with blue magic marker. After a few opening/closings, you should see that the bolt is biting only on the top (middle) third of the hook surface. If the bolt is contacting the first (bottom) third of the hook surface, it is not engaging properly.

If you find the lebver is moving per Dennis' suggestion, this could be why.

garyg #158483 08/20/09 10:58 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: garyg

As to the action opening, on the gun I worked on, the top tang had to be pushed way to the right before the safety was set back to safe.

That's a function of the length of the actuator rod which will vary among guns. Some will move almost instantly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Note that if the top lever is indeed trying to open on firing, the "Problem" is not with the auto-safety. While removing the parts which cause the auto-safe to function would relieve the "Symptons", this would not "Fix" the problem. From the original post this was what I deduced had been given as advise. Leaving the auto-safe in functioning mode here would be a good indicator as to whether the "Real Problem" had been addressed.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
2-piper #158545 08/21/09 04:35 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all of the help. I will take the gun apart and see. My guess is it is the safety spring.

As I said before, the gun is tight, on face and doesn't look like it has been "repaired". Although the finish is uneven, I don't think it has been shot a lot. I let you guys know what I find.

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

just had this same problem with my CE today... going to take it apart and see what I find... great to see all of the help available here...

Andrew
ASavageFox #166056 11/03/09 03:34 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any resolution to this problem? We could further our education with a follow-up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My 16 ga. Sterlingworth started going on safe when my son was shooting it with Remington Game Loads. First time in 25 years. The game loads seemed particularly hot and recoiled badly. Shot lots of them over the years and maybe they changed the load. Checked everything and finally REVERSED the safety spring. Apparently when Lefever's in N.Y. refinished the gun in the early '80 they assembled the safety with the spring backwards. The little curl at the end of the spring which puts pressure on the roller was facing foreward. Reversed the sring and no more doubling. Although we aren't shooting Rem. Game loads either. He's shooting RST's and has no complaint about recoil.

Hammergun #166096 11/03/09 08:58 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Jerry,
10 to 1 it is the safety detent spring, as several others have already suggested. If the gun was "opening slightly" so little you can't see it I don't believe that would be enough to reset the safety. If the safety is very easy to move off and on, there's your second important clue that it is the detent spring. Start with the easy and most likely culprit.

> Jim Legg <

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.