March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ian Forrester), 657 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

HEY GUYS ! There's a very nice .22 Martini Henry on CABELAS Gun Library at Post Falls Idaho for $800. They have it listed as by W.A.SUKALLY but I bet a sawbuck it is by W.A.Sukalle the great barrel maker from Arizona and gunmaker to Jack O'Connor! I'M NOT A .22 MAN...GO FOR IT!!! JERRY

The Sons of Alvin Linden
Sidelock
Sidelock

Does that wood look original? The but may have shrunk a bit, the buttplate is larger than the wood and the checkering is not the best.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

My take here is that Sukalle merely rebarreled a large frame Martini sporting rifle, leaving the original stock and receiver finish alone. Looks, too, like someone added a trigger overtravel screw.

For that kind of money I would go for the BSA 12/15 Martini the same store has listed. I just never cared for .22s on large frame Martinis.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

HEY...You guys are the single shot experts! The last Martini I held was chambered in .577 Spanish Olive! However,the last factory engraved [albeit lightly and as I recall, identical to this one] MARTINI SPORTING RIFLE action only, I saw on James D. Julia's auction site, brought well over $600. If the bore is good and Sukalle barrelled it,it wll shoot, or can be made to shoot!!! Just an aside ...I am surprised noone has mentioned the fact the barrel where it enters the action has the Sukalle tool stamp .218, [I recognize his tool lettering as I have 3 of his rifles] as in .218 Bee! These guys at CABELAS'S GUN LIBRARY are not the sharpest knives in the drawer! Could they have taken in the rifle and seeing .218 assumed a .22 rimfire? I noticed in the ad they did not specify rim or centerfire. Anyway look at the pictures, it definitly says .218! Could it be a rechamber? Just remember... DON'T SHOOT ME ...I'M JUST THE PIANO PLAYER!!! WARMEST REGARDS JERRY

The Sons of Alvin Linden
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry keep them coming you are a Great PIANO PLAYER. Smile Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just called them, it's a Sukalle, Phoenx, AZ and they say they're sure it's a .22RF, the checked and it has a RF firing pin, not a CF. They said the gun was proofed in England and they go by bore size?

Then again they were sure it's a SUKALLY...

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps a .218 Bee when Sukalle built it, late someone set the barrel back and altered the firing pin to make a rim fire.

He was really a barrel maker only, did little wood work, and that is not high quality. But, some of the best stock makers used his barreled actions - Owen and Minier from the early days, Gowens later.

I spent a very pleasant afternoon talking with him circa August 1964, and left with the top well of my '62 Corvette loaded with interesting single shots. Ballard #6 1/2 with Peterson .22 barrel, Stevens #35 with Stevens Pope barrel, Remington rolling block pistol with Stevens Pope barrel, Tompkins pistol. All things he had used in competition. Stupidly did not accept his offer of his elk rifle, an Enfield he had built in .375 H & H with a seriously ugly stock, but he had used it for years and taken many head with it.

I'll try to get a photo up of the Ballard.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For Terry, I hope this is the right one.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good story Terry!

(BTW: shot guns with Tim & Daryl today, but he didn't bring the BIW, maybe next time. He REALLY likes that Greener 16.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't see any British proof marks on that barrel. Remember the British proof house loves to vandalize good clean metal by stamping every square inch of the cylinder.

I wonder if they are seeing a bushed breech block with reduce striker. Although if the gun has been fired there should be "wear" marks from the cartridge head and off set for .22. I wonder even more if they know how to get the breech block out to look.

British mark for .22 is .220 not .218.

The action looks like and old British commercial action--perhaps that is where they are getting the British proofs.

And if you like the price on the 12/15, I'll sell you mine and go buy two more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.