April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (FlyChamps, Ken Nelson, 3 invisible), 433 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,103
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can still buy ethyl alcohol at the hardware store. It is labled "denatured" alcohol and will work just fine. It has an additive to make it undrinkable but that will not affect its use in any gun-related usage.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I mix my own using the Baker Modified formula that is in the Old
Clyde Baker Gunsmithing book. It does a great job.One of my gunshop friends has had me mix it for him for doubles for years. I will post the formula later today
Here it is:
For Steel Shotgun Barrels:

Potassium Chlorate 5 %
Sodium Nitrate 6%
Potassium Nitrate 2 %
Mercuric Chloride 5%
Water qs

For a blacker and faster solution use 2% Ammonium Chloride

Etching Solution (for Pre Etch)

Nitric Acid 1 oz
Water 240 ml ( 8 oz)

Use the boiling water process, swabbing on CLEAN and prepared barrels, boil 2 minutes at a time, steel wool and continue about 10 times until desired finish is achieved. Wash with hot clean water and oil . Burnish with Steel wool and oil to
finish proper luster.

I modified Mr. Bakers solution to bring solubilities to more scientific levels and deleted an inert ingrediant or two. I also usually add Ammonium Chloride to help the process and found the Potassium Chlorate speeds
the oxidation and quality of the job.

Last edited by Stallones; 07/31/09 06:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have just added the formula in the previous box

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Stallones, I have to say to you or anyone using mercuric go easy with that stuff its a deadly poison I would always suggest using something else, regards

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mercuric chloride is still readily available and used by many of the 'trade' blackers.
Obviously because of the associated health issues it would be better to use a safer alternative.
The question is, What?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use.....Black brown (Sheffield formula)

ferric chloride
alchol
water
hydrochloric acid

the wife is the chemist, she mixes it up as needed. She also won't let me use mercuric chloride.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used enough of the merc compound stuff early on. Works great, but the trade off in health problems down the road is not worth it. You end up contaminating not only youself while doing the blueing but the area you're working in most likely.

There's just too many other formulas around that work well to use that stuff.

I use L/M now almost exclusivley. Slowing the rusting cycle down to 12 to 24 hours avoids the matted finish. It's an aggressive solution but lower temps & humidity slows it right down but it still rusts. I use it in the winter time with good but very slow results.
Mark Lee's formula for express blue works great for me. Sometimes I put a couple of coats of slow rust blue onto the surface and finish it up with express blue.

The Belgian Blue (Merc Compound) and the Brownells stuff just sit on the shelf. Pilkingtons works pretty well but I always go back to the Laurel Mtn it seems.

I use L/M for damascus finish to.

I tried the acid fume methods along time ago and that was a disaster for me. Others seem to have mastered it, but some say it doesn't produce a finish that wears very well. I'll never know!

The 'old' formula BirchWood Casey Barrel Brown used to produce a beautiful rust blue. A brilliant deep blue that was difficult to get with other available products. But it too was a merc compound formula and was taken off the market and reformulated some years ago to delete the mercury. I don't know if the new stuff works for rust blueing at all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, I know Mercuric Chloride is poisonous,as I have a Pharmacy degree. However, using it with safeguards of no skin touching and not inhaling the dust from scratching will be safe enough

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.