March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (canvasback, Ken Nelson, Dan S. W., Marc Ret, SKB, 1 invisible), 799 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#152523 06/26/09 11:02 PM
tanky Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Do any of you hammer gun fans know when and where this gun was made? Any info on R Grove? This gun is a 10 ga with 32" barrels. R. Grove is on each lock plate and the top rib. It has one of the most elaborate top ribs I've ever seen. There is a 3 leaf clover in the dolls head that may be gold. It could be brass but I don't see any green around it from age. It is matted very much like a Parker. There is a number 5 on the barrel flats and the forend. In the forend wood is stamped with the number 25302 under the left tube and 22 in the center. It has some quality engraving on it. The stock has a horn butt plate and is cracked thrue the wrist. On the water table is stamped with what looks like crossed hammers or picks with what looks like an A between the handels and something that I can't make out underneath. It is stamped on each side. [img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I looked over a Grove 10 ga hammer gun in Alabama a few years back...looked pretty well made. Sadly it had sewer pipes for barrels (severly pitted).
I could've got it for $400 but passed because of the nasty bores.

Could you show a picture of the inside of the locks ?

I'd say the crack could be fixed by the right guy....if it had good bores and the price was right I'd go for it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The left tube passed thru the Birmingham proofhouse between 1875 & 1887. The mark on the watertable you refer to is probably a crowned set of crossed scepters. It might be a 10 bore, but the right tube may be a thick brass 12 bore.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 06/27/09 12:15 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
It might be a 10 bore, but the right tube may be a thick brass 12 bore.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

sAy what....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Might just be a tightly barrelled 10 bore. Never seen a 12/10 combination. Does it chamber a ten bore cartridge freely in both barrels? Black powder proof gun. I can only find details of one Grove and that was a James in Birmingham but was later than the date of your gun. I have found a Robert Groves (different spelling) in Richmond, Yorkshire but he pre dates your gun. It will all rest on the condition of the barrels. Interesting gun and worth checking out for usability.

It seems that more of these old British 10 bores turn up in America than here back in Britain. I have a job finding them. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could simply be a proof house stamping error! Suggest that you measure the chamber dimensions; If I am correct Chamber sizes will be near identical and right bore diameter will be greater than .751 [Likely 11G.]. I have seen a similar error in the past!

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus

It seems that more of these old British 10 bores turn up in America than here back in Britain. I have a job finding them. Lagopus.....

In part the lack of could be because you guys outlawed 10's in the Pigeon rings.

tanky Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This gun will take a 10ga shell. I was able to chamber and close the gun on a factory roll crimped 10 magnum shell. I did feal a little resistance at the end as the shell slid into the forcing cone. I measured the bore at the muzzle. It appears to be.765R and .760L. This is the best I can come up with by using the tool sold by Brownells that is made like scisors. The tool will only go in 3" so I may be measuring some of the choke in the left barrel. I can see that the left barrel has a choke and the right appears to be cylinder. This gun is heavy. The barrels are pitted but they don't seem to be deep. I would think they could be honed out with safety since the barrels appear to be pretty thick. I don't have a barrel wall measuring tool. Rear of the chamber measures .852. Joe, I will post a picture of the lock interior later. It appears Roy is right in that this gun has 11ga barrels. Is there any possibility that this gun was finnished here in the states with imported metal work? Maybe R. Grove was an American. What do you make of the number stamped in the forearm wood? I would say that the #5 on the steel parts is the serial # although it isn't visible on the action. This gun came from the Baltimore area so it may have seen alot of waterfowl hunting. I believe that the stock can be repaired also. The action is fairly loose but since I am a welder I could fix that. This will be a restoration project for my retirement. I have a few of those. The price was right on this one,free. It's a wall hanger now but I think it could be an attractive gun when restored.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is a 10 gauge, 11 gauge bore and choked to 12 gauge at the muzzle. Nothing unusual about it for the time period it was made. Typical black powder proofs.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

HomelessJoe, I think the ten was never that popular here as anyone wanting a big bore for wildfowl went to an 8 or even a 4 and then the 12 magnum 3" sort of eclipsed it.

Tanky, I would strongly bet that the gun will have 2 5/8th. inch chambers. Most from that era were. Lagopus.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.