April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, Ducks Rx, Roundsworth, Hammergun), 388 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,796
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob, I still need a set of 30" BSS barrels. Know where I can find them?

Sidelock
Sidelock

What Replacement said, "Know where I can find them?".
John,
I bought 2 pristine BSS's, shipping, DROS, smithing, recoil pad, take it in the shorts on the sale of the mis-serialized leftovers. Nothing secret or magic about what I did, however it took time and $$. Cost on the 30" Sporter is probably $2,500 before chokes. I don't want or need to sell this gun. 3k is simply the price at which I would part with one of these beauties.
p.s. the BSS's have been around for over 30 years and I'll bet damn near every one that was ever made is still around. Call me in 30 years regarding your RBL. By the way, do you own and shoot an RBL such as you described??

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, I don't, but I am seriously considering ordering one. My Launch Edition 20 ga. is one of my favorite shotguns; it is a killer gun in the exact same configuration described above except for the barrel length.

I love BSS's. I think they are terrific guns. But just because you spent a lot of dough to make a gun you like doesn't mean you can get it back when you sell it. Been there, done that.

My point was that if a guy is wanting a dedicated clays sxs and has $3000 or so to spend, the RBL as I described it is a far better buy than your BSS. If anything, the straight grip is a negative on a clays gun, imo. I think your gun is worth more like $2000 on today's market. Nothing wrong with asking, however.

As far as track record, the RBL is an improved SKB, which has proven to be a very reliable design, and the RBL is backed by CSM, should any problems arise. They have a fine reputation for taking care of their customers.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 06/24/09 11:21 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Up to recently I owned a BSS which was a good gun. It didn't handle as dynamic as some of my other SxS's but I did shoot many ducks with it. I did however sell it and do not miss it.

As I posted on page 1 of this thread I do own a 32" RBL with PG, BTFE, VR and DT. For a $3000 base price the RBL is a great value. I have no doubt that the RBL will hold its value and perhaps appreciate after CSMC switches production to their next project.

It is evident that everyone who posted has a different opinion of what the best $3000 SxS for sporting clays is. While I enjoy shooting sporting clays with nearly every one of my many SxS's for a serious clays gun at $3000 the RBL is a very good choice. Of course the choice is that of the buyer.

Last edited by MarkOue; 06/24/09 12:34 PM.

USMC Retired
zwego Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Again, I appreciate all of the responses. Seems like an interesting topic given the length of this thread. I had not considered a Poli but did like the photos and write up on them. However, it appears to be a bit over my planned cost as the only one I saw on the web was about $6K (with sideplates however). A Parker repro in Sporting configuration I suspect will be also pricey since they made only a few and I would think that they are now highly desirable both for collecting as well as shooting as I am interested in. Fabarm was also another gun I had not considered and it looks interesting, probably in my price range but I can’t seem to find anyone in the US that handles them - looks like a UK thing.
Which brings me back to the BSS vs RBL topic. Although I also own, like and shoot a BSS at skeet, I am not sure that making one over into a Sporting gun will allow me to recoup most of the money spent - whereas the RBL most likely will. I have no doubt that the 30" BSS noted earlier cost at least close to the asking price of $3K but the question of value is also something I consider when buying. I have modified a number of guns but unfortunately do not expect to recoup the modification costs - I only do it because it makes the gun better for me which I think was the motivation of Bob.
Given the positive comments about the RBL and the fact that it can be built very close to my specs at a price that I think I could also sell it for, it seems like the better deal. It is a valid question, about the longevity of the RBL vs the very robust BSS which is something I need to weigh - but I think I am slowly swinging over to the RBL side.
Thanks
Z

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good thought process, Zwego. You had a question about the single trigger on the RBL regarding a clays gun. Of course, the sst is the way to go, and I bet if and when you order an RBL, you mention that it is to be a competition sxs, CSM will probably do their best to make it as crisp and near the pull weight you want as possible. Worth a try.
JR

Sidelock
Sidelock

A single trigger on a SxS is like a set of twinkies on a Rolls Royce.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
A single trigger on a SxS is like a set of twinkies on a Rolls Royce.

I've seen some stupid, senseless analogies before, but I think that one ranks near the top.
JR

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree....it ranks right up there with a single trigger on a SxS.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, right. All those stupid Win. 21's out there nobody wants because of their single triggers.

But what's funny is someone with a pseudonym of HomelessJoe making an analogy with a Rolls Royce. The Twinkie fits, though.
JR

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.