April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Stanton Hillis, Ken Georgi), 1,077 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thurston, I'd like to hear your thoughts on AyA and the relatively low ranking. I guess you are rating them only above the Urgetecheas. Obviously the Arrizabalagas (maybe 40 a year) would be the cream of the crop, followed by Arriettas or Grullas or Garbis or? Thanks!

[IMG]
Boxlock
Boxlock

Gotta say I've really enjoyed my 16 Ga. 4/53. I've had it about six years and have put several thousand rounds through it. When I got it I intended it to be a game gun and to shoot targets with something else but I enjoy shooting the thing so much that it's what I usually grab.

The fit and finish is good (but not great) and it's got a nice piece of wood. I was actually surprised when I got it to see plugs in the checkered butt indicating I assume that some care was taken to balance the gun at the factory. I did not expect that at the price range (about $1,700) but I was gald to see it.

It also gets hunted a lot in all weather from Georgia to Michigan and other than some rather noble signs of use and age it's held up beautifully. It'll be in a south Georgia river bottom (not the bottom of a river) for tomorrow's woodcock opener.

Sent it to Jack Rowe for a strip and clean last year and I expect to use it until I walk my legs off.

SK

Gil,
Guilty as charged, I'd put P. Arrizabalaga first, both for quality and price.
Second, I guess Garbi.
Three and four is so difficult it's likely a toss up betwixt Arrieta and Grulla.
Uggies are very decent guns for the money, but not in the same league as the other 5.

It's all very subjective though. We've probably started a war by insulting someone's favorite maker.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds about right to me. Besides, so what?

Sidelock
Sidelock

You need to consider the upper tier of AyA, such as their Model Augusta O/U, Model 56 S/S and their lighter game gun, Model 53 S/S. These are all special order guns. The Model #1 and #2 are a step down for the sidelocks line and are imported in quantities, and the boxlocks, in my opinion are the commercial hunting line. Probably the Arrizabalaga is the premier Basque gunmaker along with the top tier of Arrietta's line, but AyA can hold their own against the others.

Same with comparing with the Urgartechea line. They make lines from the ordinary hunting model all the way up to a custom sidelock which can hold its own against anything else from Spain or the Continent. So let's compare line against line, not maker against maker. Jim Haynes

Jim Haynes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never owned an AYA but would not hesitate to buy one. Some of the posts suggest the "they don't make 'em like they used to" applies here, as well. I'm sure if I ever buy one it will be used and sounds like one made a few years ago will be finished more nicely than a new one, anyway. The Citori line has gone the same way, along with everybody else, it seems.
JL

> Jim Legg <

Find a SLE pre 1973 and you'll have an excellent double. They were the best makers just below Arrizabalaga and today their fit and finish pre 1973 for the 56,53,1's and 2's exceed the mass junk coming out of Eibar today. The Brits love them and for good reason.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim Haynes post above is exactly right! Both AyA and Ugartechea can and do make exquisite doubles on special order, both companies make these in both S x S and O/U configurations, although you seldom see the special order top line mopdels in The United States. About the best that is "routinely" seen in the US is the M53 or M56 AyA S x S guns, and their Merkel 203 clones, and these are not their best. About the best Ugartechea guns routinely seen here are several of the mid grade sidelock S x S guns being sold today as their "best" guns, but they also are nowhere their "best" efforts. I currently have an AyA M53 20 gauge, which is an excellent gun but not AyA's "best," and a Pair of Ugartechea true "best" gun sidelock O/U's in 12 and 20 gauges that are outstanding in every way. The commonly imported and encountered varieties of both makers are generally good values. Both these makers have been in business well over 75 years, they can certainly compete in most any market.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would shop for No 1, No 56, or 'Augusta' on used gun circuit, or be prepared to take a 'mud bath' if you order new high grade one and try to sell it later.

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot with some folks who have AyA SxS's, and they are nice guns. Don't hesitate to look at Arrieta too.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.