April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 204 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,052
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Where can you get a stock and forend made from your own wood for $800?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Less than that 2 years ago from Donnie Gemes and Show Me Gunstocks in Warsaw, MO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ClapperZapper-
You have a good memory. I have experienced three SxS forearm lug failures while shooting clays. The first was with an SKB M-485. The importer gave me a loaner for the 8 months it took to repair. The second was a high grade Huglu. The importer repaired this in two weeks--but the repairs appeared to be done with a brazing rod and were amateurishly done. The third lug failure was with a CSMC M-21. It was repaired and returned in less than 10 days and there was no evidence of repairs.

It appears this happens! The new RBL has a tail on the lug which bears against the receiver--so failure is almost impossible. The CSMC M-21 is true to the original M-21 design rather than an improved version so it could fail. A design change for the lug is out of the question for CSMC M-21s. Should the weld fail--it is covered under warranty--and quickly at no charge! I cannot complain about my service or treatment. C.S.M.C. has stood behind their product without hesitation.

Some opine the larger forearm causes the problem, but two of the guns I saw fail had beavertail forearms and one had a splinter. I use thumb pressure on the top of the barrel when opening the action rather than pulling on the forearm--so that is not an issue.

Some of the older shooters indicated this lug failure was not really unheard of and wasn't necessarily an indicator of poor workmanship.

I shoot both factory and reloads. Mostly 7/8 ounce 12 gauge loads at 1300 f.p.s.

Best wishes-

PULL!
Hal M. Hare
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I think you are on the right track on your opening post. A Model 21 or a BSS are both good choices. A couple of months ago we had a Vintagers shoot at our club and I shot my first ever round of sporting clays with a 21. We only shot 50 targets, but I broke a 35, which I thought was OK. I shot my skeet round with the same gun and did pretty good. The one I used was a 12 gauge, 28", straight grip, IC/M, ST. It handles nicer than any other gun I have shot. That myth about them being clunky or clumsy is pure bunk. They are without a doubt the best SXS I have ever shot with. And I have an old one I use as a beater when I hunt. Can't beat 'em. And like I said, the BSS is a great gun, too. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

zwego

You might also consider a Poli Sporting. Depending on current exchange rates you may be able to order a new one close to your price range. Especially if you should choose to go without ejectors or side plates. Fixed chokes would also save a little.

Dustin says, "Today is a gift, Have Fun."
Sidelock
Sidelock

zwego, I have your gun.
For the second time I have had Art of Art's Gun and Sport Shop in Hillsboro MO. mate a set of 30" BSS barrels to a BSS Sporter Frame. The finished product is a 30 inch Sporter that balances at the hingepin, oil finished english stock with semi-beavertail forend, single selective trigger, auto safety. DAC 1 5/8, DAH 2 5/8 and a LOP of 14 3/4 to a Kick-Eez pad. Wood is uncut and I've retained the Browning buttplate. Choked Full/Mod and just waiting for a set of Briley thinwalls.
I've been shooting it's twin at Skeet, S.C. and Continental Trap with such success that my buddies have suggested I sell all my other guns, that I had found my ultimate. I have also been shooting an original BSS 30 inch with a PG stock, mammouth beavertail forend and a blinding high gloss finish that's no slouch either.
It was said earlier that almost no side by side would/could stand up to thousands of rounds of heavy shooting. I beg to differ and offer up the Browning BSS side by side as a gun that can take it.
Art Issacson, a 25 year Browning gunnsmith has told me he feels the Brownings are dollar for dollar every bit as tough a gun as a Winchester 21. I own and shoot both and would have to agree.

99% gun shipped insured to your FFL, $3,000

The leftovers are also for sale, 12 gauge, 28", PG, Mod/Full, Kick-Eez pad added, uncut stock (saved the buttplate)
99% gun, $1,200 shipped insured to your FFL.

Good luck in your search. Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

The BSS Sporter frame is different from the standard BSS frame? Explain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

12 gauge to 12 gauge, the frame size is the same with the exception of a longer trigger tang on the Sporter.
Semi-beavertail and english stock on the Sporter vs. a huge beavertail and pistol grip on a regular BSS

Sidelock
Sidelock

the bss frame is extremely strong. years ago butch searcy used to modify them by adding screw grip like extension to make double rifles in cal. .45-70, .45-90,.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only three grand for the BSS, Bob? Pretty big premium for the barrel swap.

For $3100, he can have an RBL with 32" bbls., much nicer standard wood than any BSS ever had, a beavertail forend that's much better shaped thsn the BSS's, choice of grip (I highly recommend a pistol grip over the straight grip), a case-colored, engraved receiver, choke tubes, two pads for adjusting l.o.p., cased. Real hard choice.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 06/23/09 11:06 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.