April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Replacement, Ian Forrester, DaveB, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 1,023 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,117
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here's a Westley Richards droplock that seems odd to me. I thought they usually have the dollshead rib extension and Westley top lever that pulls the locking bolt back from the rib extension. This is a droplock but the top lever appears to be a standard Scott lever. How common was this? Do you think Westley made it?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
This is a droplock but the top lever appears to be a standard Scott lever. How common was this?

Common, at least I've seen quite a few. This one has a straight extension. Most of these that I've seen have been club head.

Quote:
Do you think Westley made it?

I've always wondered. My guess would be no, but I've never bothered to check the records on one. Don't know if Westley is forthcoming about whether or not a gun was bought in. Some British makers aren't.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 400 Nitro Express
[quote=Joe Wood]
Quote:
Do you think Westley made it?

I've always wondered. My guess would be no, but I've never bothered to check the records on one. Don't know if Westley is forthcoming about whether or not a gun was bought in. Some British makers aren't.

WR didn't mine the iron, smelt the steel, forge the action blank or the barrel blanks,---. At the point of machining the action and drilling the barrel blanks, we get less sure. WR has a reputation for machining and parts supply. However, at any given time, they may have or may not have. They were right smack dab in the middle of the trade and could have done any or all of the work or bought-in any or all of the work. The real point is that they would have done the quality control before putting their name on it. So, it was up to WR standards for the original quality grade when new.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
The real point is that they would have done the quality control before putting their name on it. So, it was up to WR standards for the original quality grade when new.

That statement is undoubtedly true, but one must keep in mind that the Westley Richards imprimatur can mean many different levels of quality. Westley Richards' production was not monolithic. It spanned the gamut from plain to ornate. Different standards applied at each level. The gun pictured above appears to be toward the plain end of the W-R spectrum, whether made by them or bought in. Of course, it can probably be said with confidence that they didn't make any "BAD", particularly in a detachable lock configuration.

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is my memory that the Gold Name and below droplocks were made by Scott {Webley}. Higher grades by Westley.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl, I've read that the Gold Name standard boxlocks were made by Scott but have never read that the droplocks were. However, Westley Richards was very much a part of the Birmingham trade and I would assume they frequently utilized outworkers. Bottom line would be the products met the standards of WR.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, that could have been what I saw, but I took it to mean the lower end droplocks. Just read it and remembered it that way. I cannot remember where I read it, but probably in one of the "big" books.

I took about 5 min and pulled these four up. None have Westley's "C-type" dolls head/sliding bolt/toplever.

http://www.sidebysideshotgun.com/AspenOutfittingCompanyVintageGuns1276.html

Here's a pair from 1950:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores...mp;mode=viewGun

Here's another:

http://www.csmcspecials.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=14865

Not sure that this has anything to do with grade.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Micheal Mac & David T wrote an article on the hand detachable boxlock and arrived to the conclusion that they were all made by Westley until fairly recently, in gun years, that A&S made some for William Powell (Heritage Series) and a few under their own name. They rated very highly maybe even better than current WR manufacture.
Enclosed are photos of WR BLE With pull bar lever and doll's head extension.

Last edited by Older Doc; 06/20/09 04:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
WR didn't mine the iron, smelt the steel, forge the action blank or the barrel blanks,---. At the point of machining the action and drilling the barrel blanks, we get less sure. WR has a reputation for machining and parts supply. However, at any given time, they may have or may not have. They were right smack dab in the middle of the trade and could have done any or all of the work or bought-in any or all of the work. The real point is that they would have done the quality control before putting their name on it. So, it was up to WR standards for the original quality grade when new.

Don,

That is an excellent point that many forget. It is also true of other makers in other countries. Because a name or trade mark is on the gun, does mean that is who made it. I have always assumed that if a maker put their name on it, then they assumed responsibility for the final product, no matter who made it.

There are some very early Beretta catalogs where they were selling Scott guns. A few pages over and you see a similar gun only with the Beretta name on it.....

Pete

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.