May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Sandlapper), 261 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,546
Posts546,131
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

[img][/img]

[img]http://tinypic.com/a/v7v9/2[/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Looking for some info on my Great-Grand Fathers double that I have. There is a story that has been handed down with it, don't know if it's at all true. States that he bought the shotgun in either 1862 or 63 (maybe ordered it one year, got it the next) on one of his many trips to the City of New York from St. Louis, MO. That he used it for quail and anything that got in the garden. It has been owned by a male in the family since it's purchase, upon his death in 1901 it went to his brother, my Great-Great Uncle John. He passed on and it went to my GrandFather, who in 1950 passed it on to my Father. Who in 1997 gave it to my brother who left it to me in 2007.

It is marked A. G. Genez Maker New York on the rib and has A. G. Genez on both the side plates. It has an under lever that's over the trigger guard and swings to the right to open. It has to me what looks like the ability to shot either Pinfire and center fire shells with extractors for both barrels. The bores look good, the overall finish to me is just dirty. There is a small chip from the buttstock at the butt plate, and the inlay is missing from the forearm, as someone tried to open it by using it and it popped out.

I hope the pics would help someone give me a clue as to what a value would be for it.

Mike

NRA F-Class High Master
Sidelock
Sidelock

Genez produced some wonderful guns. Like many makers in that period, mid 1800s, he made conversions from other detonation forms to a newer one, as well as furnishing complete guns. Your gun seems to be a center fire breechloader converted from a pinfire. It would be interesting to see the proofmarks. Many of the Genez marked guns were of English origin, so I'd guess your's is , too. Underlever locking is typical English of the period. Many of the Genez guns were "finished up" here with fine workmanship and the best engravers of the time. I have seen Genez marked muzzleloaders , pinfires, centerfires, etc. I do not recall seeing a Genez hammerless gun. Some guns have gold inlays .

Your gun has an unusual looking extractor, in that it goes around much of the shell circumference. I'd guess the market value in higher three figures or lower 4 figures, but think it is worth much more as a keepsake.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting old gun and history.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like all I have seen from his shop, top of his field.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=131539311

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

That guns been on Gunbroker for several years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

August G Genez(French) worked in New York City from 1850's to
@1880. Thought by some to be the best American derringer maker.
Most observed Shotguns seen are Muzzleloader Convesions to
Pinfire with underlever. This is first I've seen that pinfire
or central fire could be used.1862-3 would be early for an
American conversion but certainly possible. Fine Family Heirloom.
Bill Mcphail

J W McPhail
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks, I saw the ones on GunBroker, it's hard to believe all that engraving and have a stamped serial number. The number on mine is is engraved in scroll as No. 22X

Thanks for all the replies,

Mike

NRA F-Class High Master
Sidelock
Sidelock

August G Genez
1850-1860 on Warren St, in New York City
1860-1879 on 9 Chambers St, in New York City
About 1880 Vincent Bissig advertised as the the successor to Genez, listing the 9 Chambers address.
To help pay for the war, Lincoln instituted a type of income / property tax. Genez shows up on several of these schedules. Often he shows up as an individual and a company.

What gauge is your pinfire, 10ga or 12ga?

Pete

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I thought I put it in there, it's a 10 ga.

Mike

NRA F-Class High Master
Sidelock
Sidelock

Taildrag15X
You put it in the opening subject bar, Info on A. G. Genez SxS 10ga
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.