April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (earlyriser, Ted Schefelbein, Ian Forrester), 245 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,041
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19
Sidelock
Sidelock

So far we are discussing a pre-war gun with new barrels in 1964 almost certainly not by the maker. At that date, I would not be surprised if the barrels simply had the original rib relayed as that was more or less the custom for various reasons.

All that is important, but not as important as current condition including proof status.

PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey maybe I have not been in tune. All this talk about "is it still in proof", how can you tell? What I know is it measured at 729, and had like 27 and 28 wall thickness. Is there someting I am missing? From what I can see there is no alterations.
As to year of being built I think it was dated around 1914. So when did Atkin Grant and Lang take ownership of Hussey.
And it is an Imperial Ejector.

Mike Proctor

Originally Posted By: PALUNC

Also would Atkin Grant and Lang been involved and were they incorperated with them at that time?

In 1964, yes, Hussey was still a part of the collection of businesses that Grant & Lang succeeded to over the years (Grant & Lang succeeded to the Hussey business in 1930). AGL ceased to trade in 1980 and the names were sold off. When Cyril Adams bought Atkin Grant & Lang in the early '80s, it's my understanding that he bought only those names, as he did not want Lancaster, Watson Brothers, etc. I may be remembering wrong, but I don't think he ever owned the rights to the Hussey name. Cyril sold AGL to the current owner, Ken Duglan, in the late '90s.

I don't think AGL had anything to do with these barrels.

PALUNC, when the barrels of a nice London best are finally worn out or irreparably damaged, the owner is in a very tough spot. Let me give you an example.

A good friend had a nice Holland .500/.465 double rifle. It blew up. Stock, action and fore-end were fine, but the barrels toast. To preserve the most value, you have it rebarreled by the maker. Holland wanted 18,000 GBP, $35,000 at the time. He could have had it done by other makers in London or Birmingham, folks capable of a very high standard of work, for half that and had a lovely, superb shooter - that would have been worth only slightly more than the cost of the new barrels.

It's been that way for living memory. The barrels are either by the maker or not. It has a big impact on value, and the trade knows it. That's why top, West End London makers can get full rate card plus for such work on best guns of their own make. No free lunches - you either pay for the maker's work, or save a lot of money and take the value hit on the nose. Your guy decided that he only wanted to pay for a nice shooter that fit his needs back in '64, and that's what it remains today - a really beautiful shooter. A gun like this...why not just keep it and use it that way?

Quote:
So I would say these are replacement barrels and are faily current. So how does that affect my asking price?

Be realistic. Say you priced it at $6,950. I would direct any friends looking for one to George L.'s Hussey instead, and why not? It has more recent replacement barrels by the maker, plus the original barrels sleeved by the maker, asking $6,950. I think you get the idea.

For the record, I doubt anyone here that actually knows British guns thought that you were trying to be anything but honest. Unfortunately, I think the circumstances have pulled you along the learning curve in a way that was unexpected and, perhaps, less than pleasant. Don't let it bother you. Sincerely, best of luck with your sale. It's a beautiful gun.

Last edited by 400 Nitro Express; 06/12/09 03:54 PM.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nitro that's what I've been trying to tell him for a week now; keep it, its a beautiful gun and a great, well balanced shooter!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

400 nitro-"For the record, I doubt anyone here that actually knows British guns thought that you were trying to be anything but honest. Unfortunately, I think the circumstances have pulled you along the learning curve in a way that was unexpected and, perhaps, less than pleasant. Don't let it bother you. Sincerely, best of luck with your sale. It's a beautiful gun."

Lots of good advice on here but by far the best was 400 nitro last post,perfect !
Mike,you have a really nice Hussey,it now fits you and you know a great deal about it.If I where you I would keep the Hussey,your not going to get enought out of it,mostly due to the barrels,to make it a financial "foundation" for a Purdey.

If you still want a Purdey put a little more money and buy one,one without pits in barrels or other warts that will take the value you down when you go to sell it.

Last edited by Dave K; 06/12/09 04:37 PM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never seen the Hussey Imperial model without the "Imperial" name on it. Do I understand the gun in question does not have that name ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mmmmmm --- I hope I didn't somehow offend you. There is a lot of research in these numbers.

You have a very nice gun. Unfortunately, it may not value or price as you hoped; sorry for that. If you continue to dabble in Brit guns and this is the worst thing that ever happens to you, well, you will have done very well, indeed. There are a lot of folks who have spent a lot more to get a lot less.

A Stirlingworth, you say? NOooooooo, several maybe, unless, of course, it was an absolute pristine, tricked out prize.

Your gun can hold its head up in any shooting crowd. Period!! It is likely to last for several more generations, with minor, periodic repairs. If, however, you need a BV1 name gun to be satisfied, then start a war chest right now. Plan on $20,000. Never take your eyes off the goal and buy no more guns until you have sufficient money in the war chest to buy what you want. By the time you have sufficient money saved, you will probably be able to truly decide if the Hussey is a keeper or can fill the last leg towards a BV1 gun. Many people find that the quest is the most fun.

Good luck with this thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not sure $20k buys much of a BV1 gun these days. . .

At that price it will be well worn and re-done, most likely. You won't get a nice crisp Purdey.

You might do well to set your war chest higher.

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did a search,the guy "kdross" was the one a year ago who was trying to find a nice Purdey for around 20k and bought and sent back,after inspection from gunsmith a few of them.Here is a link to one he asked about;
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...=true#Post88989

You can look through his past posts and see the problems with he guns he found in that range.He has not posted in while so no clue if he ever found one.

I suspect 30k might find one without issues but its going to take some looking,then again that half the fun,no?

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

The best investment at this time is in books and lots of them. Start with Akehurst and don't stop till you are past Thomas. There is a world of info. out there you need to know before you can responsibly spend 20k or more.

Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.