Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#151091 06/11/09 06:56 PM
Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There's a Prussain Schienendrilling 16x16x22lr with the rimfire in the rib that's been flirting with my wandering summer lust...

This image if from Peter Hofer's site, I'm putting it here to clarify the barrel configuration of the gun I'm speaking of.

Anyone here have such a thing or have experience hunting with one?
I don't have photos to show yet, but to further clarify the configuration, the action type is toplever bolstered boxlock extractor with cocking indicators and a tang cocking piece (like the Krieghoff rifles) for the rifmire barrel. There is no set trigger, the front trigger is selected for rifle use when the rimfire action is cocked via the cocking piece. The 16ga barrels are cocked via the typical cocking dogs through the action bar as the action is broken.

Wood's nice, no cartridge trap, shadowline cheekpiece and horn-capped pistol grip, and it's got a nicely (fine) checkered horn buttplate.
The single folding leaf is set by hand, not automatically. There's a simple standing bead type front sight leaf.

It weighs 6-1/2 pounds, the barrels are 28-3/8" long and it balances about an inch ahead of the hinge pin.
Appears to have been completed in 1927.
Swings nicely, points nicely, and as a .22 it's accurate!

I may get images up here some time in the next few days.
In the meantime I'm interested to hear from anyone here who's had any experience with something similar.

Cheers
Tinker

Tinker #151096 06/11/09 08:02 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always wanted one. Also known as a Waldläufer, they would be very handy for many hunting situations. I thought a .22 Hornet would make a nice rib round. I load the Hornet down to rimfire velocity so that, plus the full-blown number, would would be in-effect, a lightweight poor-man's Vierling. I understand the rifle barrel is devilish hard to regulate and that plus the rarity make most I've seen pricey.

Looking forward to the photos,

C.

Last edited by C. Kofoed; 06/11/09 11:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen two Brit guns in this configuration. Monte Whitley had one for sale for a while. If I remember correctly his was 12x12x.360. Not sure if the Belg/UK gun currently on his site is the same gun. The other was a high end Birmingham gun (maybe an Osborne?) in 20x20x.22LR. Sort of a Lord of the manor's garden gun. Hard to have much of a rifle cal through the top rib.

Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

CK,JT --

Thanks for the comments.
I'll try to get photos up here this weekend.
CK funny you'd mention that, "Waldläufer" is engraved in the bottom plate of the boxlock action, surrounded in scroll.

This one is light and handy. The barrels are much closer together (much like a typical 16bore SxS) than you'd expect.
The rib is relatively compact.
Seems to shoot everything from CB Long to Aguilla SSS equally well.
I really want to get it out to the ranch and see how well the heavy bullets from the SSS are doing at 50/75/100yds
That's a great rimfire round and I'll be really excited if they're hitting the target properly (not keyhole) at field hunting range.

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Post deleted by Joe Taylor

Sidelock
Sidelock

Waldläufer literally translates to "forest runner", an elf or nomad. For guns it is the specific German word for a sxs with a small bore rifle running down the middle.

Peter Hofer waldlaufer

Johann Fanzoj Schienendrilling

Pete

PeteM #151158 06/12/09 03:05 PM
Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Joe-

I saw your post before it vanished into the dust - thanks for the comments.

Pete -
Great images, saw those and thought against putting them up as not to get the gentlemen excited, I'll have to put extra effort into photographing this little drilling so's to even barely compare to those amazing guns and great photography.
My gun is an extractor, not ejector like the one shown above (nice work there from the maker too, eh!) although the top rib and barrel spacing is similarly compact and tidy.

I'd done the homework on translation of "Waldläufer" and was pretty much charmed with the language - my thoughts exactly on the use of this gun! One of the first things I'll be doing with it is developing a roundball (likely patched) load to hit to the sights to 'complete' the useful potential of the configuration.
I have a couple moulds that'll throw ball of just the right size to do the trick.
Very much looking forward to getting it running 'on all cylinders'!!

Again, thanks for your input and contribution to the conversation.

Cheers
Tinker

Tinker #151190 06/12/09 10:36 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That Hofer is one more interesting piece. I do wonder if the rifle is also an ejector and how. Schienen Drillings/Rib Drillings/Rail Drillings were Schonzeit Gewehre, closed season or off season 3 tube guns that had handling characteristics like a double. I've also seem the referred to as woodrunner/woods runner guns. Also note on the Hofer that the top tube doesn't appear to be circular like most of the modern production ones similar to ones found at Traditionelle Jagdwaffen Fertigung, http://www.tjf-jagdwaffen.de/english/index.htm (select assortment from the top menu), whose current examples are 3 tubes although Hofer's and pre-WWII I think were mostly rectangular. Auto sights are impossible and I would think a Greener crossbolt or doll's head extension all but impossible. All pre-WWII examples I've seen didn't have a rückstecher/single set, trigger but Traditionelle Jagdwaffen Fertingung offers a rail drilling which is like a combo rifle-shotgun with a smaller rifle calibre, say 6X70, atop, have 3 locks and a separate cocker. Scope mounts are a task and I believe there to be 2 schools of thought as to whether or not a rail drilling should have a piece of glass atop it or not.

Tinker how do you select the rifle and is the top tube rectangular on top?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 06/12/09 11:00 PM.
Boxlock
Boxlock

I can recommend the TJF schienen drilling a very nice little drilling. Mine is one of the few made with a single trigger. 20/76 x 20/76 and 22 WMR.
It is a 2 schloss drilling with an umschalter at the rigth side of the Basküle.
It shots very well with Remington 40 grains PSP and CCI not so well with federal.

Last edited by 8x75RS; 02/14/10 04:00 PM.
8x75RS #178805 02/14/10 11:07 PM
Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey-

I just saw your question.
The rifle barrel's trigger is the right barrel trigger (forward trigger)
It's selected for rifle use by pushing forward a thumb-slide lever on the top tang.
Looks like the Krieghoff cocking lever.
It cocks the rifle barrel as it selects rifle function for the front trigger.

We're packing to move out of CA right now, so I can't get together any images for this thread right now.

Cheers
Tinker

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.