April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, gasgunner, David Williamson, KDGJ), 409 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#150904 06/10/09 08:02 AM
PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: budinspokane
I have a Double barrel shotgun with hammers. The apparatus that the hammers hit have been taken out. A gun dealer here in Spokane, WA says that is not a big deal. He was impressed with the shape the gun was in. It has a beautiful walnut stock and beautiful engraving on the metal. On the side it has Clark and Sneider engraved and on the bottom CE Sneider. One gun dealer could not find any proof marks and figures it was made in the US. He did not know anything about the shotgun but did say there was a CE Sneider that made hand guns. Do you have any information. The Shotgun was given to my father as a gift by some friends whose family came from the East Coast. It was his friends grandfathers gun and their family was wealthy which would make me guess that it was a very good gun made by a good gunmaker when their family acquired it. Any information you might be able to provide would be welcome. All of the people who would know about the shotgun have passed away.

I started a new thread for this topic...

Charles Edward Sneider worked in Baltimore, MD from 1860-1889. He held at least 20 patents for cartridges, hand guns and breech loaders. Most of the early patents were used by Poultney & Trimble. With Duncan C. Clark as Clark & Sneider, 1873-1884. Sneider Arms made small quantities of the Sneider patent guns.

Missing hammers is a big deal, as the gun can almost never be sold as a collector grade example. The wealth of the buyer does not translate into an expensive gun.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: budinspokane

I have a Double barrel shotgun with hammers. The apparatus that the hammers hit have been taken out.

Originally Posted By: PeteM

Missing hammers is a big deal, as the gun can almost never be sold as a collector grade example.

Sounds to me like he's missing the strikers/firing pins.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is an excellant article on Sneiders in The Gun Report, May 1992, by CDR Roy Gunther. Sneider made top quality guns for the well heeled of the Cheasepeake Bay area. Several of the Sneiders I've examined were made for members of wealthy Baltimore families and ranking politicians including a great two-barrel set made for a governor of Maryland that I shall continue to kick myself for not buying. Sneiders billed their hammerless gun as "The Original American Hammerless." Sneiders took the highest medal at the Centenial Exposition in 1876. Probably the coolest American double I ever saw was displayed at the NRA Convention in Reno in 1987, by the Southern Califorina Arms Collectors Association. It was believed to be the only American-made 4-gauge hammerless double ever made, a beautiful 38-inch barrel 28 1/2 pound Sneider.

I live 19 miles ene of Spokane if I can be of assistance to Bud on this.

Dave

PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dave,

Very interesting. I checked Vorisek and he had quite a bit on this maker. You are correct about 4-gauge. Vorisek says as much, except he had never seen one.

Found a picture of a hammerless CE Sneider:

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Usually real good guns with quite a variety of lock designs, including coil springs in some. That 4 ga. Researcher saw must have been something. I have a neat little 20 ga double , weighing near 5 lbs.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Thanks Pete. Appreciate the help
Bud

Boxlock
Boxlock

Thanks Dave,

If you want to see it, I can bring it over. Here is my email address: budmerman@comcast.net I tried to insert pictures but I have to have a website to do so and I don't. I am going to sell this shotgun as I need some money. I think it probably is just a wall hanger as it is missing the firing apparatus that the hammers hit. Thanks

Bud

Boxlock
Boxlock

Thanks again for all of your help. I am not missing the hammers, just the apparatus that they strike. I am looking for replacements and have contacted eguns but have not hear back. The gun is in very good shape. I think I will sell it as I need the money. Thanks again. Appreciate the tips you have all been giving me. I have pictures but no website so I can't post them.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Hi again Pete,

Thanks for your help. The gun has the hammers, someone removed the apparatus it strikes, probably as a safety precaution. I have pictures but no way to post them as I don't have a website. I could email them if you or anyone else wants to see the gun. My email address is budmerman@comcast.net

Thanks again. This is the first time I have used one of these sites as you all can tell.

Bud

PeteM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bud,

Email sent. I will post them here for you.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.