April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (gunmaker, LeFusil, Bob Blair, MattH, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 417 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,807
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 29 30
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, can you give a date range for the Diamond grade?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Best guess we have is about 1890-1892, just before Germany required proofing.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

One example I have is about a dozen prior to yours at serial number #3612 with the initials "W.M.".

Ken:

The initials "L.E." must be in error in some fashion as I can't pair that with anyone. I assume it might be difficult, but can you place the initials in chronological order say in 3 groups of pre-1893, pre-WWI and post WWI?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 05/13/09 11:16 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can someone tell me the significance of the initials?

My Daly is all the way on the back row of my gun safe. It will take some digging to get it out and look for initials. I'll try to do it in the next several days. Damn these gun boxes! Guess I should weed a few out.

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

ellenbr:
You, in my estimation, are a gentleman and a scholar of inordinate perception.
I am pleased to be on the same BBS with a man of your qualities.
Best regards,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe Wood.

Speechless.

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
CptCurl:

Would you give us the initials, if any, on the underside of the tubes?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

The initials on my Daly are K.S.

Now will somebody enlighten my ignorance of whose initials these might be or what other significance there may be to them?

Thanks,
Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

CptCurl:

I missed your 1st question on the subject but the initials note the person, or entity, who either drew/formed/finished the tubes or fitted or finished the joined tubes to the action. It appears that the pre-1900, or pre-mechanzied period, initials seem to indicate a craftsman who was somehow connected to a forge or metal working facility. But I think many of the set may have been lost in the gun making event. Helmut Schlegelmilch's maternal grandfather, Gebhard Helmuthhauser a Buchsenmachermeister employed by G.C./Carl Gottleib Haenel, was still working in the early to mid 1920s at an advanced age when Helmut was an apprentice to Haenel. Haenel had some sort of contract with Carl Wilhelm Aydt(target arms designer) and Helmuthhauser was doing most of the work with Herrn Aydt in a seperate room inspecting the final product, as well as firing it, and thus giving his stamp of approval. I really haven't seen much info regarding Gebhard Helmuthhauser and I suspect there were many other craftsmen who were in the same position and are sort of anoymonus.

But getting back to "K.S." it looks to have been for K. Schlegelmilch of H. & K. Schlegelmilch, a late 19th century and early 20th century firm. I don't think I know his first name yet. Like Schiwy, Forester, Geyger, Lindner sourced his components from makers in Suhl and possibly put the finishing touches on the longarm. Or once he had the process going, he would oversee that the finsihed product met his standards, much like Herrn Aydt but at his on shop. Some say the initial search is a rabbit chase and it may very well be. Schilling is a slight possiblity but for now I don't know of a Schilling fella with the first initial of "K.". And I expect to see other marks referencing the Schilling forge when a Schilling tube maker was involved.

Nice image of the lower rib.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 05/20/09 11:08 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

Thanks for the explanation. Interesting stuff, these antiques.

As an aside, I am no Colt collector, but I have heard conversations among those who are in which they wax eloquent over initials stamped on hidden places, etc.

Also, our own "Crossed Chisels" can get excited about initials that appear in various locations on fine English guns.

And of course, the Parker people go on and on about such details!

I suppose the Prussians should have their day in the sun also.

I took that photo, among others, just this morning in response to an inquiry from "across the pond". It now appears my Lindner Daly will soon travel back east as far as England to endear itself to a new owner.

Best,
Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Low resolution pictures, but the only ones I have. I never tried to make out the initials so I'll leave it up to the experts here.

Mike
Page 3 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.