April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, 1 invisible), 384 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

I certainly wouldn't kick a 28 out of my gun cabinet as a dedicated quail gun, but my 16 is so much fun to shoot and is so effective on everything short of big waterfowl that I just can't justify it. When I can afford to buy another gun just for the fun of it, maybe then.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, after the day I had in the field on Saturday, I think I could have used a BB gun and done well. Of all days to have left my .410 at home, this wasn't the right day. Luck was on my side and I would have gladly used a 28ga instead of the 20ga I had with me.

Last edited by Chuck H; 12/04/06 12:54 PM.

Mid September, Northern Wisconsin, lots and lots of leaves. Grouse Opener. Woodcock probably not here just yet. Tight working spaniel. Grouse flushing in your face, leaves there almost as fast.
"Close" shooting! Pull the barrel hard to the front of the bird picking leaves in front of its beak as your target, if you can still see it.
A featherweight 28 ga-heaven!
You may not get any more birds, but with the temperature above 70, your 28 ga will still make hunting a pleasure. Plus, if you constantly remember to shoot in front of the bird where you only see leaves, your dog may reward you with something warm. Otherwise, give me a 20 or a 16 for later season.

First of September, North Central Washington, Grouse opener. Temps in the 70's and lot's of up and down and through the brush. The new 870 Wingmaster is light as a feather and a delight to carry. Coming up on what looks to be a great covert the first bird flushes faster than I can act. Though there is always another close behind the gun comes up to shoulder just the same. The second one drops like a rock. Nice full featherd male, hardly looks touched, yet dead as a proverbial door nail. No other opportunities that day. After hanging in shade for a day it dressed out for the table and several No. 7 1/2 pellets had pierced it's spine. The breasts were untouched. Yup, I think I'm gonna like 28 bore for grouse.
Now to find a double... [img]http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/Album...186/t_=82420186[/img]

Last edited by Rick Lewis; 12/12/06 11:07 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of these topics are a bit humorous to see being rehashed again and again. Like what is the ultimate shot size? This and the Model 21 topic only come down to personal preference. No more.For anyone that doesn't believe that 28 gauge is a viable option on most game birds, tells me more about their own abilities, or lack of experience with the gauge. If not for the cost of shells, the 28 would be far more used than it is currently. The 28 has killed numerous wild pheasant, chukar, turkeys, ducks and many coyotes for me, it will do the same for any of you. IF you shoot straight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 'gauntlet' has been thrown down!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
IF you shoot straight

This is of course applicable to any gauge. If both are equally choked the differense is "NOT" in pattern diameter, but pattern density. Within it's patttern density limit thus a 28 is no harder to hit with than any other gauge. Where the difference comes in is when shooting at longer ranges requires a tighter choke than would normally be used for the larger gauge. Comparing 1oz with 3/4oz "All" other things being equal the 1oz load has about a 15% range advantage over the 3/4oz load or about that % more open choke. Thus it might take a mod 28ga to "reach out" equally to an I/C 20ga. Not really enough to seperate the "Elite" & fantastic shooters from the "Slobs". What turns so many off is those who try to turn their choice of a gun into some kind of Great Status symble for "Themselves" & make themselves appear so much greater than the "Average Bear".
As to the 21, it's another double, some like it, some don't. "All" of us who don't "Are Not" jealous of those who do. I actually do like my Lefever better & have no secret desire for a 21. But again the attitude of many 21 owners turn me off far more than the gun itself.

Last edited by 2-piper; 12/13/06 09:24 AM.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not interested in throwing down the gauntlet.
In every arena "snobbery" rises its head. This is why Starbucks coffee does so well.
I am getting older but still enjoy climbing the mountain for chukars. A light gun works well for me, open shots and relatively close shots not through underbrush.
If someone else likes to use a 20, 16, 12, more power to them. In the same way that I enjoy seeing Setter, GWP, Pointers, Brits in the field. Without having to mention that my dog is better than yours or you shouldn't use that Lab here, it should be a pointer. As a boy I shot many grouse with an 870 12 gauge, I choose not to anymore. If someone else does, more power to them.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I thought Starbucks did really well 'cause it had so much caffeine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Easy Fred, I was just funnin.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.