May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (R Reynolds, Karl Graebner, Mike Harrell, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 257 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,502
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

GreSy,
Checking the FACTS, we find the Superbirds won 8 races between 69-70. The Ford Talledaga won 29 during the same time period, the Mercury Spoiler II won 8. The The Dodge Daytonas won 6. Most of the Chrysler wins during the era were by Charger 500s (22) The Superbirds, did win some races, but, were not the dominant force in the era, and Ford DID NOT supply factory support for the 1970 season. Chrysler did, and through factory lobbying, was allowed to run dual four barrel carburators.
If the Ford guys had been allowed to run 8 barrels of carburation, as the Chrysler hemi cars did, there wouldn't have been any races to watch, save those between the Talledagas.
The Chrysler legend of the era was mostly made up, after the fact.
I haven't been smoking anything, GergSY. The facts are all out there, even you can find them.
The beautiful Fox gun up there has had a nice re-do. But, attempting the same use with original wood might reward one with a broken stock. For daily use, with modern ammunition, of the store bought high pressure variety, in an increasingly non-toxic shot specific world, small bore, or not, modern designs rule.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike Campbell:
All I can say is that's one Foxy looking Fox!!
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the kind remarks on the Fox. I can understand wanting a tighter grip, but it has double triggers and the radius is a slight compromise. It does have a faint palm swell that's difficult to detect with the eye. I started with a Bondo pattern, so I went entirely on trial & error, cause and effect, rather than pre-determined dimensions. After the fact, I find it's pretty close to my other target guns at about 1 3/8 by 2 1/8....pretty high and straight. Also, the grip ended up with a slightly smaller circumference than my O/U's, but lokks really thick. I sure wouldn't want it on anything but a dedicated target gun.

Something new to me was that I had it dialed in on the pattern board, then shot some straightaway trap from the low gun hold. I found I was frequently taking off the left wing? Back to the pattern board, low gun start, mount and fire....dead center. Added more cast (ending up with a solid 1/2" off at the heel) and could center the trap targets better.

Looking at pics on the web and asking questions, I find it's not uncommon to get a distorted view of stock drop. Maybe because we rarely photograph them in perfect profile as the catalogs do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well those dim's sound plenty workable to me! I like the direction you took in stocking your Fox...a true target gun with little compromise.

Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

GJW,

Seems the thread has gotten away from your question. I've watched your odyssey of aquisitions over the past few years and finding that "sweet" handling you are fond of in the English and Spanish guns will be much harder in the American guns but not impossible. I wouldn't worry too much about the inherent weaknesses of any manufacturer. If you can find a gun that is in fairly high original condition or one that has been carried a lot and shot a little you will likely have very little or no trouble using appropriate loads.

The hard part will be finding the dynamics you enjoy. Look for a FW frame L.C. (usually about 6 1/2#), an O frame Parker (these seem to have a greater variation in weights) or a Fox with 3 or4 weight barrels (6#s +/-). You specify graded ejector guns in the Fox and Smith and ejectors in the VH. The cost the first two in a 40-60% may seem high and a VHE "O" with modern dimensions will blow ayour doors off.

A new adventure, have fun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GregSY
I don't mean to run down Lefevers in terms of their design or quality - I'm sure they are fine guns. But because they never commanded a market presence they really can't be the defender of the "American gun" reputation - which is how this thread began.

What exactly is "market presence"? You didn't post "market share" because you know as well as I do that the "best" guns of any country's make have little more than a sliver. The fact that Lefevers are so well thought of 100+ years past their making is proof enough of their worth.

Last edited by ViniferaVizslas; 04/27/09 07:14 PM.
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: QTRHRS
GJW,

Seems the thread has gotten away from your question. I've watched your odyssey of aquisitions over the past few years and finding that "sweet" handling you are fond of in the English and Spanish guns will be much harder in the American guns but not impossible. I wouldn't worry too much about the inherent weaknesses of any manufacturer. If you can find a gun that is in fairly high original condition or one that has been carried a lot and shot a little you will likely have very little or no trouble using appropriate loads.

The hard part will be finding the dynamics you enjoy. Look for a FW frame L.C. (usually about 6 1/2#), an O frame Parker (these seem to have a greater variation in weights) or a Fox with 3 or4 weight barrels (6#s +/-). You specify graded ejector guns in the Fox and Smith and ejectors in the VH. The cost the first two in a 40-60% may seem high and a VHE "O" with modern dimensions will blow ayour doors off.

A new adventure, have fun.

Hi and thanks so much!! I do appreciate the comments and your suggestions. I will take them to heart.

Again thanks!! This is the kind of info I was after.

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: EDM
Greener thought side-locks to be an anachronism once the cocks went inside in the 1870s.The on-going debate of side-lock versus box-lock is a recent invention. Greener's comment favored his new hammerless box-lock in the context a modernization of the action that was less costly to make.

"400 Nitro Express":... To suggest that the debate is a recent invention is hilarious. You have a lot of reading to do. [/quote]

"EDM": Along comes puesdo-named "400 Nitro Express," and with zero information to contribute, he says my well-researched, well-documented, and throughly vetted statement about the dearth of 19th century box-lock versus side-lock debate is "hilarious." And that I, of all people, "...have a lot of reading to do." .

"Timothy S":...Edward, we've already established that you're the smartest guy in the room, please don't rub our noses in it. [/quote]

Timothy S: Not the smartest, but at least well-read, and never one to turn the other cheek when when some unknown poster takes a cheap shot. Query: What did "400 Nitro Express" contribute other than a gratuitous personal dig? By the way, I prefer Ed, as in Edwin.

And anyone who cares to peruse my ten-page listing of bound research materials, original and reprint catalogs of all makers and many pre-WWI sporting goods sellers, bound editions of pulp weeklies, shotgun-related books, memorabilia, and ephemera can personal message me here or e-mail <knightofthetrigger@yahoo.com> for a list. My age and health dictates that it's time to share the wealth. The spring creeks of SW Wisconsin beckon me and my 6-foot 3-weight. Being the "smartest guy in the room" is hardly a term of endearment, and catches me flack...being "smartest on the trout stream" is a critique usually reserved to fish that need catchin'. Edwin D. Muderlak a/k/a EDM

EDM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Edwin- a fly fisher too- and "Once a King, always a King, but once a Knight is enough" wonder if all Artie DuBray bought into that bit?? RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 05/01/09 07:30 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I notice that Ed didn't give the poster a clue as to what the prime topic of debate was at the turn of the twentieth century, so I will. He's right, it wasn't sidelocks and boxlocks. As someone who has read at least one percent of what Ed has in nineteenth century shooting periodicals, I am going to say it is "barrels, patterns, and penetration". I too have never seen much discussion, if any, about lockwork. OK, so the penetration business was a red herring, but it was discussed and advertised to death, whether a legitimate item for discussion or not. Of all the thousands of words of wit and knowledge contributed by readers in each weekly issue of the most popular publications, I don't remember ten words in all my reading about a gun that wouldn't go bang when the trigger was pulled. Oh well.

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.