Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Swamprat,
Gallyons in the UK have the Scott records and may be of help. If you can get a good digital picture of the proof marks, the historian at the Birmingham proof house can "read" them for you and can recount the history of the marks.
These things you can do yourself,but nothing is as good as the word of a competent gunsmith.
The cost of this gun is so high I hope you took the time to consider some of the London made guns. That price will buy you one hell of a Grant.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Terry Lubzinski
The stock dimensions,weight and chokes suggest a pigeon gun so the Silvers pad could be original however the quality of the wood does not seem up to usual Scott standards,especially an Imperial. I suspect a restock,although very well done. Beautiful action.
Terry

The oak leaves suggest it was built for the American market. The guy that ordered it might have wanted strong straight grain wood ?
"If" it is a restock I agree it's an amazing job....and I would expect fancier than normal wood on a restock.

Fair price if the mechanics are up to par...with today's economy he might get a lot fairer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun at Galazan's just can't tip my scale so to speak. I've looked and looked at it. But I just can't love it, the wood, the pad, the weight of the gun, no not for me, I'll keep shopping. Plus, the thrill is in the hunt. It took me a while to figure this little jewel out. But, If the Tonster would discount the gun and you could have it re-stocked, now, that might work. You would have to do the math and want to be involved in such a "mess". But, either way, good luck.

tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

I'm no expert by a long shot but there are some on here that are real experts.....then there are some guys (like Mike) that are expertz at falling into money pits.

Justify this statement or shut up.

You have no idea what I paid for this gun, nor what the renovations are costing.

Yes, you considered purchasing a Scott of mine that was being sold on consignment. It didn't meet your standards. Move on.

Mike
Boxlock
Boxlock

I have wanted an English "Best Sidelock" for sometime. A Holland or Purdey is simply out of my price range. I really like the gun for the engraving, the long Whitworth barrels, and the chokes. The plain stock is a bit of an oxymoran for this grade of gun, and I do not have an objection to the plain stock, if it is original. I would not bother to restock the gun, but wonder why someone would restock this grade gun, with a plain stock, when the cost to upgrade the wood is minimal compared to the labor cost? My criteria on buying almost anything, is can I recover most of my money if I need to sell? I live in Montana, and don't know any competent English gun authorities. Thanks Lon

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lon,
For $20k I am confident that you will find a London gun with Whitworth barrels and beautiful engraving,and a much nicer looking stock. It doesn't have to be a Purdey,The other London makers are just as notable. Why not make some enquiries amongst the dealers,and see what's available.
Justin

Boxlock
Boxlock

Sometimes you need to listen to what people are saying! I'm out on this one, and really appreciate your help. I would value other comments pro or con on this gun as a learning experience. Lon

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome Swamprat. One thing to remember with English guns is that nothing is standard. I have fairly high quality guns with very plain stocks and lower grade guns with superbly figured stocks. Also you will find guns on one style with the features of another because the purchaser ordered it that way. One thing for sure is that you will never stop learning about them. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Swamp-

Send it to Steven Dodd Hughes - he's in MT, right? I'm sure he charges a small fee to inspect a gun, but it will be money well spent.

BTW:

I would consider this gun:

http://www.bullseyesportingarms.com/photos.php?id=108&category=Shotguns

That gun is pretty darn new with nice wood and almost all its original finish. Offer $16,500 and see if he bites.

If I had the dough, I would buy that gun in a heartbeat.

BTW: if you buy it, be sure to have it inspected. I believe that gun has kicked around a bit. It's probably just typical trading-this-for-that stuff. You never know, though. It may have a wart that only a good 'smith can see.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

A Steven Grant..there you go and for a little over what you wanted to spend!!!
Great gun building firm there one of London's best.
Looking at that lock it looks like its an eight pin lock, Grant's own???

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.