May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (canvasback, SKB, Stanton Hillis, 2 invisible), 866 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,499
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Not modern stock dimensions. The Parkers are an unnecessarily complicated design. All should be glass bedded if using the original wood. When a picture of a blown up gun appears here, or, elsewhere, it strange how often they show early Fox guns.
Using old doubles as high volume shooters is a bit problematic, in my experience. Imagine using a 1948 Ford for daily transport, and you are on the right track. Lots of fun, but, keep it limited in use.
Best,
Ted

In my 50 years of shooting,collecting,testing handling and yes inadvertently abusing doubles I have yet to see a "blown up Fox". My 1923 example had cases of Super Xs and some really nasty handloads run through it before I knew any better. So in this time I have seen nada,nary a one,not a single example of a blown up Fox. Perhaps you could post some pictures of examples here and enlighten me?
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Crossed Chisels, where are you? I can swear that when I was in yuor shop (a while ago) you have a FOX 12 that had a burst chamber area. But I dont think it had a cracked frame.
Can you weigh in on this

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

revdocdrew:

I believe I recognize that picture.

Hack

Last edited by HackCW; 04/23/09 07:43 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Baker. Chamber had been honed.

LC Smith. Obvious barrel obstruction.

Fox.

Another Fox.

Over the years, I keep hearing the "common wisdom" that the Flues is prone to cracking. I have never personally seen a cracked Flues or a picture of one.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete:

I owned a Flues 5e sn 1762xx that had a cracked frame.

Hack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Talking about over the pond, I was at Bonham's in London last month for a morning-look before the sale. There were lots of wonderful guns. It may be a cultural thing---culture being what we do---but I left more satisfied than ever with what I have at home. There wasn't one I'd buy if my pockets were full. There's a lot of snobbery, vanity and conceit in everything we do, too much of we are what we own. I wondered at Bonham's if most members here felt as I did: great guns and reasonably priced, light weight for the field mostly, many suprisingly to me with Cylinder right barrels but hunting wouldn't be the same without those great hardware store guns of our own.

Last edited by King Brown; 04/23/09 09:07 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

More of Hack's Premier

AH Fox HE Becker bored 2 3/4" chambers, after abundant 3" magnum loads courtesy of cc/dt

Hollenbeck Syracuse

Flues

Last edited by revdocdrew; 04/23/09 09:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Premier & I are about to leave for the Southern Side by Side Classic at Deep River, NC.

Hack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dean. Ok. What is gained by glass bedding a SXS stock is full contact between the wood and the metal parts, to allow for whatever shrinkage or other changes have happened over the years to the wood. Wood, over time, is often not dimensionally stable. Factor in a drop of oil here, or a loose screw there, and you can be rewarded with the pin we so often see at the head of a Parker stock, or the cracks behind the lockplates of an LC Smith.

I double dog dare anyone to tell me, here, in public, they have never seen cracks behind the lockplates of an LC Smith, or a pinned Parker.

Cherry bomb, Italian SXS-There was a time when the Rev, or others, had a modest collection of blown up Fox pictures at hand. I didn't save them, because I don't give a rip, not ever having owned one, and with no desire to do so. This isn't because I believe them to be inferior to any other period design. I would guess that the examples we have seen (and, there have been quite a few blown up Fox guns here, and elsewhere, over the years, don't kid yourself) have been abused, either by owners with limited understanding of the guns limitations, (Burt Becker's use of them for his waterfowling ideas may burden every single Fox ever built with a reputation for indestructability, acted out on by past owners) or by gunsmiths (I'm thinking of one right now, who's nickname is "The Torch") who favor the Fox design for re-sale, after working their "magic" upon it.

I triple dog dare anyone to repeat that they have never seen a blown up Fox, here, in public.

I have a lone, turn of the century double in my gunsafe-a Tobin, a gun that I believe has a built in manufacturing flaw that leaves it especially vulnerable to being damaged by high pressure ammunition. I respect this, and subject the gun only to occasional use with English CIP rated 2 1/2 inch ammunition.
In my case, one antique gun design is enough, and the remainder are all suitable for shooting whatever ammunition is available. I wouldn't treat a Fox, LC Smith, or Parker any different than I treat my Tobin. The hassle and expense of keeping a bunch of old stuff working in a disposable society isn't worth it, to me. Hence, my one and only one philosophy. I still have the only one on the block, and that won't change anytime soon.
You can use your Fox however you see fit. I'd humbly suggest you not duplicate Burt Beckers use, or loads, with any Fox, but, again, do as you see fit. I hope never to see it in a full color destruction photo, here.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, and there are those who shoot more through those old doubles in a month than some of us, hunting actively yearly, would in a lifetime.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.