April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jerry G, Ian Forrester, montenegrin, Lloyd3, liverwort, 1 invisible), 491 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,068
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy, your info. is interesting. My memory of Alber Brown was from talks with the late Lanny Sampson, who was a good collector and researcher. Can you tell me the period James Charles Scott was engraving ? In your opinion, are the Lefever and Remington birds by the same engraver ? Of course, I know that kind of thing is hard to answer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Homeless-

Nice Scott. Where's the shield on that Scott hammergun you picked up a little while back - the one with the straight grip?

Thanks

OWD

It's not a Premier the sheild is underneath...here's a nice very early Premier 1O hammer gun, they say 1874. Not much choke.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...erarchyId=11655

My 1881 10 ga. is almost identical to it....except mine is a Triplex Lever Grip instead of just a dolls head and has lots of choke. My gun is also a pound heavier than that gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Check out these Premiers:

http://merzantique.com/item.php?id=2864_0_2_49

The wood on gun #2 looks all original to me.

I'm not so sure about #1 - it looks like it was stocked by someone else. The wood is a little off, too

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 04/22/09 09:20 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

High price for a couple of wore out guns don't ya think ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

"6 different vendettas" ??? Does the engraver hate birds or what?

OK, seriously. BV3-OQ1-CC2.5 = $12,250 per gun = $24,500/pair.
BV3 = brand name value added by "Scott;" no problem. OQ1 = originally built as best work guns; no problem. CC2.5 = between slight use and significant use; big problem. They both have been rebarreled which suggests serious use or abuse. BV3-OQ1-CC4 = $8,000/gun where CC4 = "heavy use but no abuse." The chipped screw head slots suggest less than best work repairs, too. I'm not comfortable with the wood grade suggested by the photos; it seems like more figured wood was appropriate for the grade of engraving and Scott was well known for selecting high quality and figure wood. Scott was also big on semi-pistol grips (POW), so the straight stocks suggest restocking. Old restock? The blacking level does not match the case hardening color wear, so they have been recently reblacked. The 2 1/2" drop at heel is a bit much for a typical Brit game gun --- restocked and rebarreled for the American market?? BV3-OQ1-CC5 = $6,000/gun where CC5 = minor repairs need or restoration accomplished.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl,James Charles Scott joined the company in 1855 at age 21. He was trained as an artist at A Design School 1n the U.K.He was the aesthetic leader in the company whilst his brother W.M.Scott was the designer of many of the Scott patents.It is believed that James,s wildfowl designs first appeared on Scott guns during the 1880,s.Undoubtedly a pattern book would have been created for James,s wildfowl designs.Whilst James is said to have carried out some of the engraving, other engravers would have been mandatory to handle the volume of work.These engravers would have been required to work strictly to the pattern book. It was a common practice for engravers to make a "pull"from their finished work. This likely travelled with them and would have provided a source inspiration should they have decided to leave the company.
James Scott became company managing director in 1894. He retired in 1897 when the company amalgamated with Webley and Ellis.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have a copy of the book, "Shotguns and Gunsmiths', by my late friend, Geoffrey Boothroyd; please turn to page 206.On this page you will find a picture of the bar of Scott Premiere #50579 which you will see is for all practical purposes is identical with gun #51289 that is currently offered for sale.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

It's not a Premier the sheild is underneath...here's a nice very early Premier 1O hammer gun, they say 1874. Not much choke.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...erarchyId=11655

My 1881 10 ga. is almost identical to it....except mine is a Triplex Lever Grip instead of just a dolls head and has lots of choke. My gun is also a pound heavier than that gun.

My 1874-75 Premier 10ga is nearly identical to the gun Joe linked us to. Mine has some obvious issues but it is currently at the 'smith having them addressed.

Here are alternating pics of my gun and Cabela's gun. Red background is the Cabela's gun. Apologies for the poor quality of my pics. I snapped them as I was packing the gun up to go to the 'smith.

Last edited by Utah Shotgunner; 04/23/09 08:51 AM.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy, thanks for the Scott information. I had not known of his involvement in the engraving design. We do see these birds appear on American guns, probably mostly after his retirement date. I'll get out Shotguns and Gunsmiths and read it again. I always find something I missed before.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suspect that a lot of Big Names in the gun making trade today and back then, whoever and how many there may be, are deeply grateful that the guns that W&C Scott & Sons built for them over the years was of such outstanding quality. I guess we will never know for sure who or how many there may be.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.