May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (DSchrank, Der Ami, Guy Ave, Jtplumb, 67galaxie, 1 invisible), 663 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,479
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Check out these guns:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=127109620

Those are some odd Scotts. The fences & stocks look like they belong on a Monte Carlo B. The actions and the engraving looks like Premier quality.

Then there are the damascus bbls. One of these guns looks like it was made around 1900. Wouldn't Scott be using fluid steel by then?

And check out the placement of the initial shields. Premiers had their shields behind the toplever, not down there. I think the triggerguards looks stubby, so perhaps the guns have been restocked?

Anyway, these are some peculiar guns.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good Question:
All I can say is the engraving appears to be in keeping with the Premier Grade. Didn't I see somewhere that if these were Premiers the grade was stamped on the gun?
I have a W C Scott SLE that was made in 1898 with fluid stel barrels. However; these were not nitro proofed. I would expect that the type(damascus or fluid steel) of barrels at that time and at that level would be the customers choice. However;IMO the engraving on mine takes it down a couple of levels below a Premier.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The fact that the guns are "stocked to the fences" would classify them as premiers. The excellentias weren't.
The barells are the choice of the owner/orderer{a Bushism}
The engraving isn't all that,but I guess it is a premier

Sidelock
Sidelock

If they are Premier grades they should be marked on the top rib..."Premier Gun". I think they still built Damascus barreled guns till about 1915.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are all Scott game birds that nasty?

tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some Gunmakers were still turning out damascus barrel guns up to the Second World War to special order but charged about 15% to 20% more. Engraving could vary quite a bit within the same model depending on who they sent it to for completion. generally it would be the same style unless the customer ordered it a particular way. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

tim, no not all, but your observation is spot on, those are nasty lookin' birds.
To get back on track, there is some writing on the barells but the quality of the picts obscures the reading.
OWD, I think Scott moved their shield about quite a bit. From behind the lever on top to below,in different spots.
And oh those barells,that's a very beautiful pattern and probably a turkish or brit "best". I wish my MCB had them.
Justin

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Scott engraver had distinctive birds. If my memory serves me correctly, I think the engraver's name was Brown. As the story goes, Mr. Brown moved to the US in the 1890s and we see very similar animals on the highest grade Remington 1894s and highest grade Lefever sideplate guns. One might suspect he did the US birds, too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

VERY interesting Daryl

Premier in question

Remington EE

Remington EE

Sidelock
Sidelock

Part of the serial # of one of the guns can be seen In the pictures.This # suggests a date of manufacture, circa 1897. The Guns appear to be a matched pair [#2gun, made some time after #1] even so, there are suttle differences in the guns [ for example the engraving of the word, "Safe".]It is probable that #2 gun was made without the benefit of having the #1 gun available to facilitate exact replication of the engraving.
The guns have file cut ribs and crystal indicators as seen on Scotts "Monte Carlo B", pigeon guns. How ever the engraving is similar to that found on Scotts "Triplex" Grade Guns.One can also see that both guns have the Scott Patent,square cross bolt lock up.The guns are stocked to the fences. This is not normally the case on the "Monte Carlo or Triplex" models.
As stated in an earlier post, it was Scott,s practice to engrave the model name of the gun on the rib, between the name and the address.I am of the opinion that the guns are special order, of "Premier" quality.Unfortunately we can no longer obtain the opinion of Mr John A, Crawford, Who at one time provide an excellent advisory service on Scott guns. In any event, they appear to be very good examples of Scott guns.

Roy Hebbes
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.