May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tim Wolf), 508 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#144244 04/15/09 03:04 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Once in a while when discussing blown guns, the prospect of a primer in the powder charge is mentioned. I've always wondered HOW such a thing could happen... I just found a way.

Equipment: MEC Grabber 761R circa 1980. Alliant Promo. Fiocchi 616.

While loading some of my first batch of Promo loaded shells, I was weighing charges frequently for consistancy. Operator error (inattention, distraction, old age, lack of intelligence, whatever) resulted in me cycling the press with no shell in station number 2.

Powder dropped of course, but no primer was visible. I 'recovered' from this event in my usual way, namely undo the primer feed chain, catch the next charge of shot in an empty shell, lock the bar to the left, and clear out the shells under construction so as to provide a clear loader for the cleanup.

On the second cycle of the press, the primer appeared. It had been stuck in the powder drop tube, held there by powder packed around it.

This was something of an attention getter.

The 'what if' is obvious.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup, 'Ol Murphy' is always around ....!

Best,

Doug

PA24 #144249 04/15/09 04:50 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great information Jonesy and thanks for the heads up!!
When reloading you're always thinking how something like this could possibly happen, yet it does. And regardless if it ONLY happens once in a million shells that is one to many.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder how much more pressure is developed with the primer in the powder? I have not heard of this causing a barrel to blow,so I'm curious.

justin #144257 04/15/09 06:14 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the heads up. I try to watch the primer go into the rotating tabel but not all the time. I will check closer from not on.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that the proper test gun for primer in powder has to be a K80. They seem to be always blowing up according to posts over at trapshooters.com bbs. .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just to clarify what the idiot (me) did... since my writing is isn't all that clear...

I forgot to feed the thing a shell, and didn't catch the mistake until cycling the press with a vacant second station. That station primes and drops powder.

The key point, and the learning experience here, is that if you do that the powder drop tube can pick up the primer that was waiting there to be seated in the shell you forgot feed it. It's out of sight in the tube, jammed there by the powder that was dumped and it could very well make it into your next load.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shotgun, you do yourself an injustice to suggest that you were muddle-headed. You apparently knew to look for "the" primer despite the fact that there would be "a" primer atop the mess or jammed nearby in the index plate after it advanced. Not everyone would notice the presto-chango-whereditgoto after the aggro of the spill. And that Promo is pretty thick salami so might well get a grip on both primer and reprime/drop tube. Thanks for the headsup.

jack

justin #144290 04/15/09 11:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: justin
I wonder how much more pressure is developed with the primer in the powder? I have not heard of this causing a barrel to blow,so I'm curious.

I wonder, too. But if you look hard enough in the published data, you can find instances of a simple primer change resulting in a peak pressure increase of 3,000 psi. Add in the unknown effect of primer ignites powder ignites second primer and I wouldn't be surprised if it were greater than that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The change in chamber pressure with primer change is due to the powder sensitivity to faster ignition from a hotter primer, not from the primer's addition to the powder gas. Nitro powder burn rate increases dramatically with increasing pressure. A "hot" primer gets the powder going faster which ups chamber pressure initially which ups powder burn rate.

Lacking data, I doubt that a stray primer in the powder would burst a barrel. Does anyone have actual pressure barrel data?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.