April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (CJ Dawe, Marks_21, ithaca1, fab500, 2 invisible), 499 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,092
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Keebler elves?

Bill, that is a good question. I've not heard of it being made by others. I recall that Purdey commissioned their new line of O/U shotguns in Italy, but they made no bones about it.

Maybe somebody can answer.

And as you know, I'm not promoting the Purdey hammer gun. My statement was in response to the statement above:

Quote:
That kind of money for that just to have 'Purdey' inscribed on it..no way!!

In the end, even if the gun is made by others it is made to high standards worthy of the name "Purdey." That's a far cry from any AyA I've seen.

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Post deleted by treblig1958

Sidelock
Sidelock

When Holland and Holland started "making" their "Sporting Guns" more than a decade ago, one of them ended up in a shop where I worked. It was not impressive and it didn't work. The purchaser was not willing to send it back over and over so had it tweaked by a local gunsmith. What a fate for a brand new gun from a top British maker. I have no idea who really makes the Holland Sporter, but I don't want one. A gentleman who I have shot with a time or two does it the right way. When he gets a twitch, he orders a new H&H bird gun, waits a few months, writes a check for about twice what a new "Sporting Gun" costs, and ends up with a fine gun with no excuses. No fuss, no muss.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I was at the factory last Friday eightbore and they are worked off their feet, there are a LOT of 20 bore over under sporters in the line under production. maybe that early gun you saw had some glitches but I don't think you'll find many now. By the way, why do AYA get such grief here, I think their No.1 is almost as good as a best English gun, regards, Mike p.s. no relation to Holland, Purdey or AYA

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Purdey hammer guns were made at Purdey. If you have my book, you can see some photos of one of them being filed up on the bench.

They were made because a request was made and it appeared there was amarket for them. they were based on an existing gun, provided as atemplate. the sfety was added because it was requested and is more in-line with what the 21st century buyer wanted. Plenty of hammer guns were made with top-strap safety (I have a Nowotny self-cocker with one in the workshop now).

I know this is a forum where we can all say what we like but it always strikes me as a bit sad that so many are willing to queue up do deride the work of such highly skilled people working with integrity and to a standard nobody on this board can ever hope to match.Purdey and H&H etc are always totally up-front about which guns they make and where/how they are made. The niggling 'I wonder if it were made somewhere else' comments are unbecoming and ignorant.

I am always impressed with teh respect best gunmakers treat work by their peers even if they see reason to fault it "any fool can criticise a gun" as my ex-Purdey finisher says regularly.

As far as I can see Purdey produced a number of intereting hammer guns to sell now to the buyer of today and reflecting one or two changes to style and function. They were £55.000 when launched, as I remember. I can't afford one and I'd prefer an 1880 example but that is not meant as a criticism of the new guns, just a reflection of my preference for old stuff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, where do the Sporters stand in the price structure compared to the Royal side by side? I don't think most of us are critical of the new hammer gun except for a thirst for knowledge about its source. Smallbore and Mike have straightened us out on that. Is there a newly produced shotgun from the best makers that is not built in the factory of the named maker? I wonder how much Purdey would charge to weld up the safety slot and reengrave and reharden the top tang?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Small Bore,

I most certainly agree with your statements about the Purdey. The level of skill required to produce such a work of art is exceeded by none.

I suspected the guns were made in Purdey's shop, and I am glad to hear confirmation of it.

While I don't like the tang safety, I stand in awe of the workmanship. I agree that a tang safety is appropriate on a self-cocking hammer gun. The Italians do that with theirs.

Your statement of the level of skill required for a gun like this is what I tried to say early on in this thread. You have said it more forcefully and more elegantly than I could have.

Thank you,
Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the guns are true Purdey, and I don't dispute that, why is the wood/metal so poor?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to put too fine a point to it,but sometimes pictures do not tell the whole truth. I wonder if the lighting cast a shadow between the proud wood,necessary to allow for wear,and the metal.I would like to see the gun in hand before slighting it because of the tricks that light and shadow can play.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore, at the moment an O/U H&H Sporter is approx £48k or US$70k using 1.46 as the exchange rate, an O/U Royal is approx £67k or US$98k, both of these are rough numbers and can go higher depending on individual specs/engraving etc, best, Mike

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.