April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, Southern Sport, 1 invisible), 1,008 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,116
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Right non, Cptn!

Why isn't there full-coverage engraving on the locks? This gun is expensive and it should have it.

And those hammers are ugly!

Here's a $2000 Scott with much nicer hammers:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...tthammr_01l.jpg

I think Purdey punted on these hammer guns. You could buy a much nicer 12b vintage Purdey hammergun for less and then have them restock it, rebbl it, and tune everything up for far less money.

It wouldn't be a 20g, but so what?

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 03/28/09 02:40 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Purdey hammers look fine to me. No doubt Purdey skimped on the lock plate engraving....building the gun with Island Locks for the sake of being purdy looking would have been another step back wards.

At first glance the ol'Scott looks pretty nice...she looks very abused by some unskilled metal re finisher.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I Think the hammers on my Greener are much more artistic & took more work.
It does look pretty nice though...but I guess if I DID have $80,000 to spend on a Hammer Gun, ( Not holding my breath) I'd go for 3 or 4 vintage gals , & wouldn't have to be Purdeys either.
Still not quite sure how to explain why I find even the best modern Guns a bit lacking in something when compared to the lovely old ones.Perhaps its because I think some nice old gents who really cared spent more time with files & chisles on them.
Wonder how many they built?
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
....building the gun with Island Locks for the sake of being purdy looking would have been another step back wards.

jOe,

Backwards is what it's all about. Otherwise we'd get a Benelli slaughtermatic.

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

As a matter of fact I like tang safety on a hammer gun. But then I like belt and suspenders as well.
Nevertheless I do not like this particular Purdey. For one thing, wood to metal fit does not look proper to me.
- Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Capt I have a brace of Benelis for the slaughter...

I wouldn't mind owning an old Island back action locked Purdey but lets face it it wasn't their best design.

Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe,

Agreed. Their premier design is the Beesley actioned sidelock ejector, obviously.

The hammer gun is a retro type of effort. If they are to go retro, my choice is the island lock back action design.

Of course, this is a rifle, my passion - not a shotty.

Curl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Post deleted by treblig1958

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Supposedly Purdey borrowed a hammer gun from an owner who suggested that Purdey start making hammer guns again to figure out the design of the gun. Obviously no one is left from the age those guns were made.

I guess I'm in the minority when I say I prefer a bar action side lock hammer gun to the island lock back action guns. I have nothing whatsoever against the island lock guns, I just think the bar action guns look nicer, just my humble opinion of course.

The problem with the hammers is that they are not rounded enough like the the letter S. Their shape is more runic, almost like using the letter Z in place of an S.

Sidelock
Sidelock

yes there is that premium for the name and not w/o justification i might add. what.....you go to tiffany & co. and expect to get piece of jewelry at costco price?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.