April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (bushveld, ClapperZapper, Lawrence Kotchek, Mark Larson, graybeardtmm3, LeFusil), 1,022 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,238
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

james do you notice the difference between the pin arrangements on Sven's gun and the one I posted?

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

On the Stevens 315-style guns the rear pin is higher than the front pin; on the 311-style it's lower. They have different hammers and springs, but I can't remember which is which. I believe the 315 series is older but I'm not sure.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,as F2F said there were lots of models made by Stevens, one of them didn't have normal hammers and sears, it used a striker mechanism similar to one of their hammerless single shot shotguns. I have seen different models of Stevens shotguns with the Wards Hercules marking on them. Some of the older Stevens guns were well made for the money. A study of all the double guns made by Stevens-Savage would be interesting.

Jim

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fin2Feather has it right. April 20, 1915 is the patent used for the model 315 Stevens. US patent #1,136,247 issued to G S Lewis, Springfield Mass. The reason for the different pin placement is the 315 is striker fired & the 311 type has internal hammers. The higher rear pin placement on the 315 is for the sear arrangement to release the spring loaded strikers. I once had a 20ga built on this action marked "Central Arms Co". I mentioned it here one time, but didn't recall about the different pin placement or the patent date, only that it was striker fired. The rest is Compliments of "Russ", long may his memory live.
I expect the confusion comes from the fact that Iver Johnson built a "Hercules" model under their own name & quite possibly with other trade names as well. The guns pictured here though are Stevens.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Iver Johnson "Champion" model was relabelled "Western Field" for Monkey Wards. Your "Hercules" is a remarked Stevens rather than the IJ Hercules.

jack

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.