May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (MattH, Argo44), 605 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,054
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#141566 03/25/09 06:09 PM
mark Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have picked up a Woodward double rifle project gun. It is missing both hammers, rear site, the 4end iron and the 4end wood. It looks to be about 50cal. I am a shotgun guy and I'm not worried about fitting the hammers or the 4end if I can find something close.

How do I go about finding out the proper cartrige and load for this gun?

Who is a good source for brass and dies?

I have heard about making chamber castings but I have never made one. If the chamber is rough will the casting stick?

Who is a good source for hammers?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,

Sounds like an interesting project, pictures would be nice. If you have never done a chamber cast, its really quite simple. I use the stuff brownells and midways sells, cerrosafe by name. You will want to clean the chamber as best you can, then run a few patches down into the rifling, just a bit ahead of the chamber. I also use a spray release agent from brownells, which I apply liberally to the chamber to be sure that it doesnt stick. You could probably get away with wiping it down with any sort of grease or anti-stick/release agent. I hold the barrels up in a vise, slowly heat the cerrosafe and as soon as it turns liquid, I carefully poor it into the chamber until it completely fills to the rim recess. You have to be careful not to overflow, or you get cerrosafe on the outside of the barrels. It usually dosnt stick or remove any bluing, bit its a pain to clean up off the carpeting and what not. You will also need a good rod to push the casting out from the other end once its cool, as well as some good calipers and a few other resources to cross reference your castings measurements with. Cartridges of the World is good, as well as some of the handloaders books. Good luck!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mark
How do I go about finding out the proper cartrige and load for this gun?

Who is a good source for brass and dies?

I have heard about making chamber castings but I have never made one. If the chamber is rough will the casting stick?

Who is a good source for hammers?

Mark,

Get Cartridges of World as CJ recommended for load info.

For unusual cartridge dies:
http://www.ch4d.com/

Brass will depend on the cartridge.

Here is a "How-To" for chamber casts. A couple of points. If it gets stuck, DO NOT use an aluminum cleaning rod to get it out. The rod can damage the walls, voice of experience... Apply heat to the barrel, use a wooden or brass rod, if all else fails put the chamber end in boiling water. The cerrosafe will simply melt out.
Chamber Cast

For hammers:
http://www.blackleyandson.com/acatalog/English_Cartridge_Hammers.html

Finally, save the chamber cast. You may want to have an insert made up. http://www.mcace.com/index.htm I recently had him make up an insert for a drilling so I can shoot .22 Hornet in the 9.3x82r barrel.

Pete

mark Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the info. I ordered some cerrosafe. I will order some hammers as soon as I make some measurments. I will try to get some photos also.

mark Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Made a chamber cast as directed and could not get casting out. Had to melt it out. Pretty sure its a 500BPE 3"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,

Glad the melting trick came in useful. If you can get your hands on some bee's wax, that can be used for a chamber cast. Some people use candles. The one's I have tried were too soft.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark:

The secret to getting the casting out is to have a square bottom on the casting so you can push on it. I use over powder wads of the approriate diameter pushed in from the muzzle with a square ended close fitting dowel. The flat bottom of the casting make it easier to apply a bit of brute force to move the casting if required.

It is also best to removed the casting right away as it tends to grow over time.

Best,

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
mark Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Glenn I will giv it a try.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When doing chamber cast, it is good idea to preheat the chamber area. I am not tlaking about high temps as Cerosafe has very low melting point. But if you heat the chamber area to about 200-250 degrees, the cerosafe flows better and doesnt cool as quick which allows for smoother castings. You dont have the wrinkles in the casting which helps make for more accurate measuring. Same principle as bullet casting when you pre heat the mold.

For release agent I use RIG grease and swap the chamber and throat. Also plug with a close fitting bore diameter dowel and cloth patches. good square end to push against.

Last edited by Brian; 04/02/09 05:08 PM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

mark Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I placed a web order the end of March with EJ Blackley and Son for hammers. I was charged on my credit card mid April. I still have not received my order. Multipal Voicemailes and Emails have resulted in no response.

Has anyone delt with EJ Blackley and Son?

Anyone know the status of the company?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.