April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, KY Jon, Lloyd3, MattH, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 1,006 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,118
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Found out that the way to glue onto pad is to use rubber cement.

I am going to have my Baker Elite SBT fitted with a pad so I can shoot it and enjoy it!

The stock is currently fitted with a tacked on red "spacer" that gives a total LOP of 14 1/4". I believe the red spacer to be the tacked on base of a Jostam sponge rubber pad with a 1917 patent date.

I do not want to cut the stock and removing the spacer is very tricky, so I need a thin pad. I have acquired a vintage but still soft 1 inch used Jostam sponge rubber two ply pad, without its red base, a 1 inch very hard vintage Jostam Anti-flinch and I could easily obtain a Galazan hard rubber 1/2" pad.

At this point I plan on installing a 1/2" Galazan and I will likely save the Anti-Flinch should the next owner want to cut the stock and install a correct pad to the new owner's LOP.

Any thoughts on trimming the Jostam sponge pad to 1/2" thick or less and gluing it to the red spacer?

Should it be cut above or below the middle spacer?
Above the spacer means I would glue rubber to the spacer on the stock. Below the spacer would mean I would glue the middle spacer to the spacer on the stock.

What type of glue should be used?

Should it be cooled before grinding or cutting?

Any other thin pads out there?
One possibility is to take a Winchester reproduction 1922 pad, and grind it down to 1/2 inch. The Winchester would be soft, I think, and it has 3 1/8 inch holes that would match the existing holes. Is the winchester soild all the way through?

Thanks

Lou

[img][img][/img] [/img]

[img][/img]

Last edited by Bushmaster; 03/22/09 05:40 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If it were me I would remove the tacked on base and have a real S.W. Silver pad installed. They are available from Galazan and are certainly "period" for your Baker SBT. I had a Parker at one time with a similar setup. Its old Jostam pad base was very brittle and literally fell apart when starting to remove it. I doubt it would have made a good base for a NOS Jostam which is likely to be ozone deteriorated itself. Removing the tacks was no problem through use of a set of diagonal cutting pliers, so-called "dikes". The tacks were easy to pull out while working from the center outward. Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What Frank (Silvers) said!! If I had that gun, that is exactly what I'd do. Then again, I've had my Fox J-Grade for 18 years and haven't yet gotten around to replacing the Morgan pad with a S.W. Silvers like I should!!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Silvers
If it were me I would remove the tacked on base and have a real S. W. Silver pad installed. They are available from Galazan and are certainly "period" for your Baker SBT. I had a Parker at one time with a similar setup. Its old Jostam pad base was very brittle and literally fell apart when starting to remove it. I doubt it would have made a good base for a NOS Jostam which is likely to be ozone deteriorated itself. Removing the tacks was no problem through use of a set of diagonal cutting pliers, so-called "dikes". The tacks were easy to pull out while working from the center outward. Silvers

Good advice that the old Jostam pad base would not be a good base to hold a glued sponge pad.

Problem is that even if I could get the Jostam base off without hurting the stock I would still have 14 inches of wood and a period correct Silvers would bring the LOP to 15 inches, which is too long!

This is why I am planning to put on a 1/2 inch galazan. That way I can enjoy the gun and leave it alone for the next owner.

Any "thin" suggestions that do not involve cutting would be appreciated

Last edited by Bushmaster; 03/15/09 05:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This may not make a difference but in case it does the Galazan
"period correct" pad will be orange, very similar in color to a Hawkins pad. The genuine Silvers pad will be brick red. I have both and there is a distinct color difference. As a suggestion, and I've never done this, you could possibly use the Silvers and grind the face down to the 1/2" you need. My Silvers measures 7/8". Would be tricky but a good pad guy should be able to handle this.

Mike C
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just bought two S.W. Silver Co. #3 pads from Galazan on special at $50.00 each. They are 7/8" thick. Although there is a cavity in the base of the pad it is only 7/16" deep, therefore the 7/8" thickness can be reduced somewhat by your pad man. Personally I would prefer a genuine SWS pad on a classic Baker SBT rather than a modern made whatever but of course that is your choice. Obviously I don't know if your base is glued to the wood with super strong glue but the tacks supplied by Jostam were very tiny and very sharp and they pulled out quite easily and with no stock damage on the Parker I referred to in the earlier post. Frank

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone know the depth of the more expensive Galazan Silvers pad and whether it has a hollow space?

If I do decide to cut the Jostam sponge pad does anyone know what I should use to stick the black sponge rubber to the base?

One nagging question I have is why is my stock so long? Did trap shooters enjoy SBT's with 15" LOP?

Finally, any thoughts about using a thin Galazan hard black rubber reproduction of a Baker butt plate?

My Baker came with an old Morgan that had never been properly fitted to the stock. See Picture below.

FYI, the camera brings out the blond highlights in the wood, which is much darker and richer to the naked eye. The checkering is very intricate. The Cody has a similar Baker Elite with similar checkering (see page 40 of Frank Conley's book), and the Cody historian told me that when the Cody Baker Elite came from Winchester in 1972 it came with a notation that the engraving AND the checkering was by Rudolph Kornbrath. This is a good part of the reason that I do not want to touch the stock and I just want to put something thin on top of the Jostam base.

Last edited by Bushmaster; 03/15/09 08:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another option would be to use a .6" old English and leather cover it. That would really look neat but may not be "period correct" if that is important. It would get your length of pull about right, I think.

[IMG]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gil russell
Another option would be to use a .6" old English and leather cover it. That would really look neat but may not be "period correct" if that is important. It would get your length of pull about right, I think.

What I am looking for at this point in time is to get the gun ready to shoot while preserving the integrity of the stock. Problem is that it feels pretty nice right now with the ugly red Jostam base. Although I appreciate the importance of the historical "look" My thought is that the next owner can worry about achieving the perfect combination of looks and length, which may involve cutting (Ouch!)

I am half tempted to cut all or almost all the sponge rubber off the Jostam double sponge in the picture above and just layer the orange rubber onto the Jostam base with glue.

Last edited by Bushmaster; 03/15/09 08:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That Baker SBT is one fine looking gun. I have some older original pads- Ithaca sunburst etc- and recently bought a 1895 era Uncle Dan LeFever 12 gauge- DT and the side cocking pins-very impressed with the cocking mechanism and the ball socket style hinge- gun had one flaw- original buttstock and BP was cut down to a 13" LOP from front trigger, and the aprox 4 degree pitch line from heel to toe was ignored and it was cut flush (90 %) so I spliced a spacer of walnut from another era gun, used a bisquit joiner and Gorilla glue and of course, masking tape and clamps. Gorilla glue is almost foolproof-trick is to moisten both mating wood surfaces with tap water, and as it "migrates" under clamping pressure a bit, spread it with a popsicle stick just in the center areas (I did, however, coat the bisquits evenly with that adhesive. I had an older period Silvers pad and I used both the Gorilla glue and two drilled holes in the spliced stock for the screws- now that it has dried and set, and I have finish sanded and refinished with tru-oil and added stain to match, it is as solid as the original stock was. I have a gunsmith friend who gives me the "drops" from various stocks, buttplates and older recoil pads, so advise if you are looking for something older, perhaps I can find it for you. The "repo pads" from Galazan are nice, ditto from Midway, but expensive.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.