April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (HistoricBore, DaveB, SKB, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 1,059 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another example - from our own Classified Ads

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...ge=3#Post128269

Sidelock
Sidelock

Note that this is a James Woodward, not a Thomas Woodward.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Dustin, the example that you displayed certainly proves my generalization wrong!The various features certainly put this outside the Run of the mill category.I'm guessing this gun was made 1880-ish. How is it to shoot?

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hugh Lomas
Dustin, the example that you displayed certainly proves my generalization wrong!The various features certainly put this outside the Run of the mill category.I'm guessing this gun was made 1880-ish. How is it to shoot?

Hugh,

It is 1880's ish. I too thought some of the features on the gun were not exactly run of the mill for Brit doubles the era. In my opinion, its a pretty unique and very cool gun. I have not shot it yet, but I can only imagine that it is a pussy cat. It weighs just at 8 1/4 pounds, with light 1 1/4 oz. or 1 1/8 oz. loads I imagine recoil will be almost non-existent.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The T&T Woodward patent of 1876 was known for a time as the 'Acme' and was retailled by a number of makers other than T. Woodward. I have seen them by Adams and others.

They are generally not finished as 'best' guns, rather as third or fourth quality guns and they generally do not make very high prices in the UK. You occasionally see a better quality example but I think it was conceived as a lower-priced gun as it is quite easy to manfacture and assemble the parts.

A decent example for £200 plus commission at Holts a couple of years ago comes to mind. I sold one by T. Woodward built on his modified coil-spring patent of 1884 for £400 last year. This may well have been a prototype. There are photos of it dismantled in my book.

The original patent is quite confusing as father and son were both called Thomas Woodward.

However, it is believed the son moved to London to manage the H&H factory. You can see a photo of him on the factory floor in the H&H book by 'the Donald'.

LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
The T&T Woodward patent of 1876 was known for a time as the 'Acme' and was retailled by a number of makers other than T. Woodward. I have seen them by Adams and others.

They are generally not finished as 'best' guns, rather as third or fourth quality guns and they generally do not make very high prices in the UK. You occasionally see a better quality example but I think it was conceived as a lower-priced gun as it is quite easy to manfacture and assemble the parts.

A decent example for £200 plus commission at Holts a couple of years ago comes to mind. I sold one by T. Woodward built on his modified coil-spring patent of 1884 for £400 last year. This may well have been a prototype. There are photos of it dismantled in my book.

The original patent is quite confusing as father and son were both called Thomas Woodward.

However, it is believed the son moved to London to manage the H&H factory. You can see a photo of him on the factory floor in the H&H book by 'the Donald'.

Smallbore,
I just received my T. Woodward 10 bore. The first thing that comes to mind when you have this gun in your hands...is high quality. Everything about the gun is very nice. Along with the very nicely fitted heel and toe clips, it even has a compartment in the buttstock that holds 2 extra fire blued strikers and a set of coil springs. I have not had the locks off of the gun yet. The other thing I like about this gun is the shape of the action, it is rounded and feels very trim and petite for a 10 bore...it is very well balanced as well...it feels more like a medium weight 12 bore fowler than a 10 bore bruiser.

Why was this gun not more popular? The shape of the action combined with its (as you say) simplicity to manufacture, its obvious robustness, etc. I would think the gun would have more appeal.

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have recently worked on a Woodward and co cased muzzle loader a good well made gun is this connected to the others?

LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are some additional pics of the T. Woodward. A little more detailed than the first set I posted. Notice the excellent wood to metal fit...the odd features such as the cocking indicators, the "rolling" safety, the roundness of the action, the inside of the forend also has the words "Wanson patent 9139" engraved on it, and the little "compartment" for the extra strikers and coil springs. No doubt about it, Mr. T. Woodward knew how to make a cool gun! :-)

Last edited by LeFusil; 03/13/09 07:28 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't kick her out of bed....why the need for the extra springs ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a similar gun retailed by E M Reilly

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.