May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (RWG), 992 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,528
Posts545,861
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mossy and Small Bore, here is an 1875 Remington Whitmore , Grade 5, made for the London market. It is marked like your gun, only in London. Note the proofs are the same, except mine has a 13, where your's has a 12. Bores of this gun, 9" from the breech, measure .722". Smallbore must be correct . By the way, the Remington's proof may have been done in Birmingham. It is very hard to read the Proofhouse mark.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 03/10/09 01:11 PM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Mossy and Small Bore, here is an 1875 Remington Whitmore , Grade 5, made for the London market. It is marked like your gun, only in London. Note the proofs are the same, except mine has a 13, where your's has a 12. Bores of this gun, 9" from the breech, measure .722". Smallbore must be correct .

OK...does that signify that my gun was rechambered/rebored from a possible original 12 bore chambering? Hmmm...the plot thickens...

Last edited by Mossyrock; 03/10/09 12:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mossy, you really need that measurement , the bore diameter 9" from the breech. From the looks of your gun I would not guess it to be altered, but anything is possible.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Field gun illustrated is either a 10.G incorrectly stamped at the Birmingham proof house as a 12.G or a gun made in Belgium with fraudulent, incorrect, Birmingham proof marks.
My opinion is that it is a 10.G of Birmingham origin.My reasons are as follows:
1/ The gun is typical of the export guns made by the Birmingham trade in the 1880-1900,s A very similar, "export gun", is pictured on page 412 of W.W.Greeners book," The Gun."
2/ The application of proof marks to the barrels, rather than the barrel flats, was a practice used in this era by the Birmingham trade and the proof house on guns destined for export.
3/The finish on the gun is superior to that seen on Belgian guns imported and marketed by Folsom.
As for the possibility of opening up the bore of a 12.G that has barrels with the normal outside 12.G profile,it is simply impractical.The net result of an attempt at this magnitude of bore enlargementwould be; thin barrels at the proof diameter & paper thin barrels, approx; 7-8 inches from the muzzle.I Cannot believe a gun modified in this manner would have any prospect of passing legitimate proof!
As recommended by others I would not consider firing this gun until a competent gunsmith has checked all barrel dimensions.
A possible maker is:
William Field, 1881 @ 118, Unett Street, Birmingham. William field is identified in published records as being the manager of the Field Rifle Co; Birmingham 1885-1898.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy,

I believe you and Daryl are correct. What is interesting is the name on the barrel, "The Field Rival". It would be interesting to find another so named to see if that name applied to English made guns. As opposed to "Rival" for Belgian made.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3HMCAAA...esult#PPA397,M1

Greener spends several pages degrading any "export gun".

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy, those are good thoughts. I just cannot think that Mossy's gun has been altered. Do you know, in that time , if they used the bore designations of even numbers ? Later we see 13/1 etc for designations, sort of narrowing the diameters related to proof. By the way, I have seen a two barrel set, British hammer gun, with one set with 10 Chamber and 12 bore. I guess the maker would try lots of things in those days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete, this fellow has one marked the same.

http://www.coondawgs.com:80/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53656&sid=0bf2540e38eb347af9d2bed49041d6e9

I need to say that Mossy has a very unusual gun , in that the condition is super for that type of weapon. I , and lots of others would be glad to have an example like that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a side lever opener W Richards with Birmingham proofs of the same era. This gun has a 12ga chamber with the bbl marked as a 14 (.693"). As on this gun there is no chamber mark, just the provisional, definitive & view marks along with the 14. The bores on it now measure very close to a 13 (.710"). At this point in time (pre 1887 as I recall) the bore was only marked with whole sizes, no intermediates (ie 12/1 etc) being used. This bbl could have been any size which accepted the 12 (.729") plug but not an 11 (.751") one at proof. It may quite well have originated having a bore just under an 11 with a 10ga chamber & been subsequently polished/honed out to the .758" size. May well be cylinder bore, mine is.
The construction of this bbl would have been alternating layers welded, then rolled down to size leaving the layers quite thin & then wrapped around a mandrel with the layers on Edge. There would have been no twisting in the rod prior to winding (Twisting) around the mandrel. This was often called Wire Twist, but each piece which has the appearence of a wire on the outside, actually goes entirely through to the bore. If you can imagine, take a piece of laminated shim stock & cut off a strip of it. Place it across a rod with the edge showing the laminations against the rod & the outside, then procede to spiral wrap it around the rod. Each lamination would thus be visable to the outside & go through to the inside. For damascus one end of that strip would have been fastened, the other end twisted round till it looked like a threaded rod, then hammered back flat & then wound around the mandrel. You then have the so-called "Finger print" pattern rather than a plain spiral appearence. For 2-strip, 3-strip etc damascus more than one of these twisted strips would have been welded together edge wise prior to winding.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting gun with a lot of history. If I understand the timing correctly, the McKinley Tarrif circa 1890 clamped down on the importation of these fine pieces from Birmingham. Mossy, you're lucky to have one in such good condition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just hope the boys at Cabelas didn't take him for too hard a ride.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.