April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (HMAK, Sun Dog, 2 invisible), 454 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,149
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13896 12/08/06 11:41 AM
T Loy Offline OP
OP Offline

I would like to have my 20 gauge SXS barrels regulated so it would shoot slugs with reasonable accuracy, right now the points of impact are about 18" apart at 50 yards. Is there a Gunsmith that could regulate the barrels and add rifle sights for me?

Last edited by T Loy; 12/08/06 11:42 AM.

T. Loy
T Loy Offline OP
OP Offline

Apparently no one knows of a gunsmith that would do that type of work. I guess the next step would be to do a conversion to a double rifle.

T. Loy
Sidelock
Sidelock

T.Loy,

Keith Kearcher can regulate chokerifled shotguns. Not sure how successful the effort would be on an normal shotgun using slugs. Nor can I guess what the effect would be on birdshot patterns and points of impact should you still want to use the gun for bird hunting.

Regards, Tim

Boxlock
Boxlock

Make your rear sight with 2 notches; left one for right barrel and vice-versa. Brownell's has rifle sights for shotguns.

T Loy Offline OP
OP Offline

Mr Kearcher informed me that Browning bbls are brazed together- not soldered- and cannot be regulated. So plan B....2 sights?? I'll check out those sights, Thanks.

T. Loy

Somebody sells 12 ga SxS that are regulated and have sights, for about $1000 - $1100. Can't recall the name offhand, but there was a thread on this BBS a couple of months ago. The poster bought one and really liked it.

T Loy:
I just posted about this on an earlier thread, I know you already have the 20-bore, but I'll simply paste the earlier post in here for interest. Hope it helps in some way.

"Virtually all SxS double shotguns will 'shoot apart' with solid slugs. The exception is the purpose-built smooth-bore slug-gun, the most common being the Sabbati and Ugartechea offerings, and the rather less common Brignoli (..and there may be others).

If you can't find a purpose-built double slugger, the solution is to acquire a robust SxS double in good nick, knock a couple of inches off the barrels, effectively removing the chokes, and re-regulate for your favourite slug load. This is done by lifting the ribs, adding packing around the mid-point of the barrels to 'bow' them slightly, which effectively increases the convergence at the muzzles, then relay the ribs, fit sights, and enjoy!

A Wm Griffiths boxlock I shortened from 30-inches to 26-inches regulated perfectly with RC slugs when the muzzles were brought together at the shorter length and the ribs relaid. Didn't have to alter the packing at all!

BTW, a properly regulated SxS double should not 'intersect' at some specified distance, rather it should put left-barrel shots on the left side, and right-barrel shots on the right side, of a useful composite group at all practical ranges. I would suggest that a composite 6-shot group, consisting of 3 rights and 3 lefts, should fit into perhaps 2 inches at 25yds and 4 inches at 50yds with open sights to qualify as good. Smaller groups are better of course, if you can achieve it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a thought on the regulation....You may wish to try some of the low velocity slugs...As I under stand it; most SxS guns are set to have shot patterns converge at around 40 yards...it would make sense that a slug with a weight/velocity closer to a normal shot load may produce better regulation results.

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
Boxlock
Boxlock

OK. I had a 311 Stevens 12 Ga that had been "sawed off". I didn't do it so everybody take it easy. I did rescue the old gun. I bought two choke tube adapters from Brownells, and two rifled chokes. The professional gunsmiths told me it could'nt be done. My friend who builds flintlocks made a cutter out of a pipe fitting, it looked like a hole saw. He filed out a section of the rib turned the hole saw over the barrels to size them and soldered the connectors on. I screwed in the choke tubes and started shooting. I regulated the barrels with a big chunk of lead for a hammer and lots of homemade Lee slugs. I backed off of the load about 10%. Two days of work and I could shoot a 8in inch group right and left at 50 yds. Finally my buddy soldered a scrap piece of rib in between the couplings. I killed a buck deer, a turkey, some squirels, maybe a rabbbit I can't recall, crows, and shot them round clay birds too ! The rifled chokes shoot shot good enough to suit me and the skillet. I had read an article Ross Seyfried had written about the Parodox and had to have one. Cost about 100$ and a load of wood. My friends think I'm crazy. They say you,ve got "good" guns why don't you use them.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Over 20 years ago I invented a sight (US pat 4,597,211, now expired) that solves your problem by having a separate rear sight aligned for each barrel, alternated on firing by the inertia of a weight.

Maybe you could whip up a simplified version, perhaps using a folding Lyman sight with a second leaf Araldited at 90 degrees on the back. If you read the patent, you might get an idea.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.