May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (LeFusil, MattH, 1 invisible), 1,082 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,790
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

PeteM;
I have no doubt your observations here are absolutely correct. Mentioned this not as corrections to your statements, but as the probable source of the statement that Belgian bbls were brazed. Your statements on these late percussions & their intended destinations would tend to agree with Starr's mention of many being of poor quality. All things considered I think if seeking an original ML shotgun, I would much prefer to find a good condition English one even one of ordinary grade as my Hollis.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller,

I agree. I like some of the Hollis guns I have seen.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete is correct. During the Colonial Period, especially in West Africa, it is my understanding that African natives were not allowed to own breechloading guns (self-preservation by the English & Europeans I guess). This policy remained in effect until well into the 20th. century.

George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I frequently shoot a pre-1877 Belgian and possibly wouldn't consider another make. Wall thickness is very important, but check the locks to make sure they don't double(which can be rectified) and check behind the locks to see if the stock is cracked. Also check the alignment marks on the plugs and tubes to see if anyone has been "monkeying" with it as well as the hook to frame interface. I prefer to remove the nipples to thourghly(?) clean it, so see if they are frozen. Almost without exception, you are going to have to mash the caps a bit to force them to stay on the nipple, but a nipple size of No. 10 or No. 11 matches what is forsale today. Also choose one with diameter dims that you can purchase cards, overshot and the like, that you don't have to use your teeth to edge it to get it to fit down the tube. And I also like versions with original ramrods and also ramrods which you can attach a worm. Because if you shoot it much and bend the blackpowder/moisture rules, you are going to need a worm. Determine a load of shot for the period of the longarm, match the dram equivalent and start pouring. It's a thrill and a real grounder to exactly what the technology was at the time and just how well they used it.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 02/28/09 12:19 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW

I understand the appeal of shooting "original" b/p shotguns. I confess that I have done my share.

That having been said, I now think that the practice may not be the best one. Safety considerations aside nearly all of these guns are over 100 years old. Their like will never be seen again. It might be best to give these fine old pieces a rest and either not shoot them at all or at least shoot them very sparingly. For heavy shooting, modern "reproduction" guns are best.

I remember (old fogey alert!) when fine and rare original Civil War muskets and other pieces of equipment were used and abused to death by early CW re-enactors and "skirmishers". A lot of history and heritage was lost forever playing games.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dingel, I noticed from the "reviews" on the Dixie Arms ads on Pedersoli ML shotguns that some of the guys who purchased these also use them for re-enactments (mainly as Rebs, I suspect). Was reading the journal of a Yankee vet ("Four Years in the Iron Brigade"). Among his three gunshot wounds in the war was a buckshot wound at The Wilderness. I wondered if that was from a Johnnie with an old .69 musket and the "Indian fighter" buck-and-ball load (used by both sides and certainly appropriate for the Wilderness) or some poor boy who just brought along his daddy's shotgun....never know, of course.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Belgians made different classes of Damascus barrels many were cheap but some were superior and a lot of the top English Damascus barrels were actually forged in Belgium, shipped to England assembled and then English proofed. Generalizing about Belgian Damascus barrels is a mistake as is most generalizations.

J.W.H
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.