April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, Jimmy W), 410 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Labowner - in the past few years several of the powder manufacturers have changed some of their long-published loads. They say new and improved testing equipment has generated better data for them. Off the top of my head, the load changes that I have noticed have been in the direction of less powder. Close to home, last summer I found that my decades-old 20 ga. skeet load is now way off the charts. Unless I am mistaking, there are no current loads for 700X that get as low as 5000#, and the 7/8 oz loads (24 grams) are high velocity jobs. Check IMR's website and make certain your load specs are current.

Sidelock
Sidelock

IMR has a lot of low pressure 24 gram load data using my favorite powder, PB. And my favorite hull is the Federal Game with a fiber base. These are throw aways found at any gun club. I also use the Claybuster wads.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was just hoping to keep the powder selections down. I like the 1oz. load for trap but could drop down to 7/8 on the skeet.
Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had good luck with 7/8 and 3/4 oz loads using Red Dot and Federal 12SO wads in AA cases.
Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any 12ga gun which I did not feel capable of handling a 1200fps 1oz load @ 7-7½K psi I would consider a total Wall-Hanger & it would never be shot by me. Lighter loads are great as long as they serve the intended purpose, but those light loads should use a fast powder.
Slow powders were not designed for extremely low pressures, they were designed to give normal shot charges a higher velocity, or heavier shot charges normal velocities, all operating at normal pressures. They generally obtain this ability by being heavily coated with a "Deterrant" which restricts burning.
Are you concerned with "Thin Bbl Walls" remember if you shoot two loads both giving a 1oz charge 1200 fps with 1 load @ 7K psi & the other @ 5K psi, The 7K load will peak at about 1" from the breech while the 5K one will probably move forward a ¼"-½" with a flatter peak & the two curves will cross at about 2½"-3" with the "Low Pressure" load actually having a slightly "Higher Pressure" for the rest of the bbl. Note also the 7K load peaks where the chamber walls are the thickest to support the pressure.
"IF" you insist on those very low pressures wth slow powders be sure and
#1-use a "Hot Primer" even at the expense of a litle extra pressure
#2-"Resrtrict" their use to warmer temperatures, do not expect them to be all purpose loads for use when the temps drop into the icy range.
You are of course totally free to ignore this & I am not a Ballistician & some loading manuals list such loads. I do note that Alliant/formerly Hercules list very low pressures only with Red Dot & Bullseye or newer powders within the same burn range & within the light load range.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used 17gr 700X in 5,000 range from IMR guide with satisfactory results. I think Franc Otte's suggested one-ounce IMR load was 1150fps at 5,600psi.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller correctly suggests that low pressure loads with slow powders propelling light shot loads have problems that the loading manuals don't explain. He is also correct in stating that the presence of a load in a manual does not always make it a good load for all guns in all temperatures. It is the best post yet in this thread.

Sidelock
Sidelock

King;
700X is a fast powder & one of the type which should be used when low pressures are desired. A 1oz load @1150 fps is condidered a "Mild" load in a 12ga & is the type which should be resorted to. It would absolutely amaze a lot of "Magnumites" what can be accomplished with such loads if they would just give them a chance. I am a firm believer in using a powder within it's design parameters. 700X was brought out as a target/light field powder as a competitor to Red Dot etc. 7625 for instance was not, & I do personally & honestly feel there are some inherant dangers accopaning it's use at extremely low pressures from Inconsistent &/or Incomplete ignition & combustion.
At best a squib may result, I experienced this from a load having a supposed 7K psi & utilizing 1¼oz shot.
"AT WORST" there is evidence to uphold the possibility of an obstructional type burst occuring from a secondary combustion causing the shot charge to become the obstruction, "Nothing Previously in the Bore".
There is a very high probability that the use of "Mild" black powder primers with the new harder to ignite smokeless was what brought on the "Old Wives Tale" that smokeless powders developed their max pressure at a point down the bbl where the walls were thin, from this very cause. Pressure curves show most smokeless shotgun propellants to have a faster burn than did black & certainly "All" which are suitable for use in a shotgun produce there max peak within the chamber itself.
I believe in being Kind to old guns, but I don't believe in "Killing Them with Kindness".
Note that this is not meant to be per-se a pick upon 7625, it's just that it has been so highly touted for such use. Alliant manuals do not recommend such low pressure loads for their Herco, Blue Dot, or even Unique, though they would undoubtably perform very similar & be just as "Un-Suited" for such use.
I personally place powders as Green Dot, PB or simialr rates as an absolute limit for loading below 7K psi. All you who feel otherwise feel free to go right ahead, just don't blame me if one cool day a portion of the side of your bbl departs your company. You might then decide you would have been far better off with a load of 700x, RD etal operating @ 7-7½K psi.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, I guess we learned the hard way. I don't use 7625 for any shooting now. Last week goose hunting in perishing cold my shells were in a single big pocket of my home-made dirty-white light canvas gunning smock. There's no place for 7625 in cold weather outside body warmth.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, another great post. Thanks to my friend King for backing up what Miller says. The recommendation of "slow burn powders", such as 7625, for general purpose 12 gauge loads for composite barrel guns, was started by the publication of 7625 loads for ten gauge loads for composite guns. The authors of such articles, directed at ten gauge shooters, were advocating 7625 for heavy shot loads in large bore guns at safe pressures, a correct use for that particular powder. As Miller has told us, 7625 and similar slower burning powders are not correct for 12 gauge loads with 7/8 ounce or less of shot at low velocities. Thanks, Miller.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.