Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
If they could, the dead grouse in my freezer might give a pretty good argument that my unengraved, case colored R10 is relatively un-fanciful, unflourished, and mercilessly functional.
Best,
Ted

Ted, I was thinking of higher grade examples and the basic Darne design in the larger context of French culture over the last couple hundred years. Yours is a tip of the hat to modern tastes, which is probably why, in part, the gun is still around. I've heard nothing but good things about them from a functionality standpoint. I hear they handle very well, mental adjustments to breech function notwithstanding. I expect to be going through that myself soon with my recent purchase of a husky-influenced belgian side lever hammergun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Leaving the key open? How about designing a safety that actually works?

I think the guys at Darne looked at a Greener and said "Can we design a safety that's even more of a pain in the derriere to use?"

Hahaha

Of course, I'm poking fun.

I've owned two Darnes. While they're neat, they're not for me.

The most beautiful? Hardly. An all orginal pre-WW1 H&H Royal is hard to beat. Although I hate their short triggerguards. They just look cheap to me.

Maybe a Boss with the double-bead action, or a real nice Lang & Hussey / H.J Hussey Imperial. Husseys can be beautiful guns.

Take care,

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

De gustibus non est disputandum!

JC

P.S.: I tend to mistrust those who trust their safeties. JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You'll get no quarrel from me regarding an HJ Hussey Imperial.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted and I don't see 'eye to eye' on everything but Darnes is one of them along with Ithaca Model 37's. My first Darne was a 12 bore R10 and if truth be known, it was the best of the lot factoring in the price i paid for it used($260USD) in 1976. In any event Ted supplied my third, a Bruchet 16 gauge, that I would not part with as its as perfect as a Darne can get. It was designed as a grouse gun by me, Ted and Bruchet.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

GJZ that looks like a nice gun, can you take a closer shot of the action?

GJZ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Darnes are for bird hunters. I have a Ted Schefelbein imported Bruchet built Darne R-15 20 gauge that is a straight up bird killing machine. Its long slender barrels, perfect balance make shooting birds in any presentation a piece of cake. Most Darnes people see in this U.S. are pretty plain, rarely do you see one that is built to the "best" standards. How many of you have actually held a Bruchet built Darne in your hands? Not many. Most people who "try out" a Darne don't know how to properly work the action, therefore manipulation of the action seems very awkward. When you get used to it...its as slick as butter, and if you practice....the Darne can be faster to load than a traditional barn hinged shotgun. Another plus....they dont shoot loose....EVER. Bollocks with all the complaining about Darne safeties and Greener safeties...a couple minutes of practice and they become second nature.

Last edited by LeFusil; 01/10/09 09:10 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Say, that is nice English shotgun. Like the name too as it rhymes with pu...
When I was taking english as kid in europe p.... stood for a little cat, but here....lets just say I got embarrased when the subject came up for the first time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Everytime I look at good pictures of that R15 engraving, I get a little lump in my throat...Cause' that gun FIT ME TOO!!!!

Folks, that is one of two left-handed Darnes I have ever seen-the other, is my plain, old, 1946 vintage R10, and it was re-fitted that way, not ordered new that way.

Dustin, email me with details of the Darne 12-dying to know what's up.

Barn hinge....describes PERFECTLY the antiques that most folks here shoot...prone to a sloppy knuckle well before they should be...I tell you Regis, this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you, with apologies to Don McLain.

Best,
Ted

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.