May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Lloyd3, Hoot4570, PALUNC, KDGJ, 2 invisible), 797 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,503
Posts545,541
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#127162 12/22/08 01:24 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a Wm. Cashmore that has a couple of inches of the rib at the breech that pops up after firing. Has anyone worked with the low temp solder with something like this? Any other suggestions for a cure?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a 20 ga. Browning Superposed with the rib disconnected about half was from the breach. I intended to send it to Art's for repair but I decided to try JB Weld first. That was about six months ago and the JB is holding. When it pops off, if it does, then I'll send it to Art's. In another case, the forend hanger broke of a 20 ga. Parker. I glued it back with JB Weld and stayed that way for about two years, including a dove shoot in Mexico. I recently had all the metal restored on tha gun and the hanger was properly soldered in the process but the JB Weld never failed. I'm not suggesting that gluing fine guns back together is the proper fix but it can be a servicable temporary fix.

Richard Howard
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just my 2 cents, but I'd either: a)do it yourself if you have good skills and can confidently follow my and Dewey's tutorial on Revdocdrew's website, or b) send it off to get it repaired properly by removing the ribs and re-laying them.

If you put any type of adhesive on it, when the time comes to strip the ribs and re-lay them, the 'smith will be unhappy and likely charge a bit more for the cleanup depending on how bad a mess it made.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chuck,
WHAT AREA ON DREWS WEBSITE IS YOUR TUTORIAL/?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Joe, you are a valuable contributor to this maze of confusion and information.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stallones, there are lots of guys who can reattach the rib piece without having to relay all of the rib and reblueing the barrels. If you want to refinish the barrels, then there are more gunsmiths who can redo the ribs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Russ used to say he put the barrels in his blueing tanks so the heat would not affect other areas. Sound like a good way to do a small area.
bill

Often a short section of rib can be resoldered without completely relaying the rib and reblacking.....if the rib can be pried up a bit and the mating surfaces can be scraped clean, English solder can be used to resolder the area...Brownells sells this - made by Swif...it is a paste and is applied to the mating surfaces.... they are then tied tightly with wire....the excess solder is wiped off and the area heated until the solder flows....clean up of the newly soldered joint can be done with a wire wheel, without damage to the bluing....if a bit of touch up is necessary to the joint, OxphoBlue paste can be applied while the joint is still hot from the soldering and wire wheel cleaning.....I should warn you that if an attempt to hold the rib down with epoxy has been made, this job will be extremely difficult without removing the rib - DON'T DO IT!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.