April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (canvasback, ClapperZapper, Hammergun, Argo44, 2 invisible), 389 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Boxlock
Boxlock

PA,

I am not sure but I believe the Dub Taylor show was an "Outdoor Life" episode. I have a very poor copy, from when it aired on TV years ago.

Not to highjack the thread, but are there any of the "Outdoor Life" episodes commercially available?

Thanks for the great memories being brought back.

Will Gurton

Norm Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've been listening to the old radio shows of the Jack Benny Program and the Phil Harris/Alice Fay Show on Sirius. Harris was on both shows, and I think he's hilarious.

A few weeks ago, I realized that the guy is I think is so funny now was the same old guy from American Sportsman (remember I was a kid when the AS was on). This story from Curt Gowdy about Harris and Crosby on the ESPN site was the best I could find -

Bing & Phil

One was a raconteur and legendary imbiber; the other a master crooner with a wit drier than Death Valley. And once a year, the American Sportsman brought them together.

They were the original song and dance men of the outdoors: one a movie personality, raconteur and legendary imbiber; the other a master crooner, Academy Award-winning actor with a wit drier than Death Valley. Each an original, each made in America.

Phil Harris was from Indiana. He could make you laugh on sight. Often wearing a headband, which in those days was a symbol of rebellion, and sometimes a black state trooper's jacket, which was not, Harris walked the high wire separating good and bad taste like a Wallenda. But whatever he said or did, it was styled
with so much charm that only a novitiate could find fault.

Crosby, from Tacoma, Washington, was his straight man - quiet, dignified and blessed with a voice made by a celestial florist. Bing's honeyed tones complemented perfectly the gravel-bed that ran through Phil's throat. When they sang together, Vaudeville was reborn - comical, lyrical and touching.

Once a year we held a reunion on the 'American Sportsman' television series. Cameras and good times rolled as we followed bird dogs across sun-burnished fields and flying fish across golden oceans. We were adult children let loose with fly rods and shotguns in Nature's favorite playgrounds. Hunting and fishing were our excuse to join laughter and memory.

"It was for outdoor fans a ritual no less anticipated than Bing's annual Christmas show was by the rest of America." We'd plan the trips months in advance. Each was busy with family and career. But somehow we always found a free week, each juggling dates to keep our rendezvous. Each day, no matter what the weather, a warming trend developed in each of us. Phil insisted on spiritual fortification against the elements.

Phil drank whiskey like Picasso painted, which was all the time. Yet his constitution compared in strength and clarity - if not in humor - with the one written by our forefathers. Never, to my knowledge, did he fumble a line or a glass; and when he swung a 20-gauge on a bird he was world class.

"These get-togethers are among my favorites times," Bing once told me. "I love that guy (Harris). His approach to life is so right - never sweat the small stuff."

Crosby and Harris appeared on the 'American Sportsman' 16 straight years. It was for outdoor fans a ritual no less anticipated than Bing's annual Christmas show on NBC-TV was by the rest of America. When they came on 'The Sportsman,' hunters
and fisherman would stop whatever they were doing, sit down and be lifted by the routine of Mister Crosby and Mister Harris.

In the middle of a hunt, they might break into their act. It was drawn straight out of a Minstrel show:

"Oh, Mister Crosby?"

"Is that you, Mister Harris?"

"Indeed it is, Mister Crosby, and how is your day going?"

"Poorly, Mister Harris."

"Oh really, and why is that, Mister Crosby?"

"I forgot my socks, Mister Harris, and my feet are turning blue."

And sure enough, the camera would pan down to Bing's boots and bare ankles, whereupon a chuckling Mister Harris would offer Mister Crosby something liquid to warm his toes.

They're both gone now, and with their passing we lost a strand of magic. Crosby died on a golf course - his second favorite place to be.

Once, I called Phil's wife, actress Alice Faye, who lived in Palm Springs, and asked if she knew where I might reach the man. She answered that she hadn't a clue. "But when you finally get hold of him," she said with a lilt in her voice, "tell him for me to straighten up and fly right." Harris passed away in his
sleep. I hope he was dreaming of white-winged doves dipping and dodging against a blue desert sky.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whatever Mr. Harris was drinking, it must have been pretty good for him, he died at 91.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Twister'sPa
Jay,
Funny what we remember isn't it?
My memory if the albino pheasant episode (don't bank on any of this) was that Phil was carrying on
when it flushed and joked that Bing had just shot one of the farmer's chickens. It turned out to be
an albino rooster.
Dub Taylor was the character actor that I couldn't remember from the plantation quail shooting episode.
He was lights out with his double, but I don't recall what model it was.
Jim

That show and Crosby and Harris in particular, had a tremendous impact on me and my approach to sport. They were gentlemen and never put the kill above the companionship and time afield. I don't think I ever saw an episode where Gowdy and the guests did not appear to be enjoying the moment - taking in every aspect of the place and time.

JDG

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.