March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Marshgrass, Roundsworth, gasgunner, R. Glenz, Lloyd3, Wild Skies), 837 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#126586 12/18/08 04:05 AM
Norm Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I remember these shows as a kid/teen, and I'm trying recall the guns that Bing Crosby and Phil Harris used. Anyone older, or more attentive remember?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bing had a SXS of some make. I watch the video I have over and over and cannot tell the maker. Phil used the always reliable Winchester Model 12. It has been said that Phil was a real 28 gauge fan!

Hairy

This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Matthew Quigley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many of us have longed for the network to release the two best episodes -- 1. The great field trial gunner and character actor Andy Devine Woodcock hunting with his .410-bore Parker, and 2. Robert Stack going to Great Britain and picking up a 20-gauge (Purdey?) and shooting with the "Wee Scot" Jackie Stewart.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to watch the Andy Devine show all the time, and when I did read about him hunting, I thought his favorite gun was a 28 ga. On one of the shows I think he was quail hunting with a 28, I know it was a sxs.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember an episode where Phil and Bing were pheasant hunting on a Pennsylvania farm and I think Bing shot an albino pheasant.

I do remember the Jackie Stewart episode as well. He put on quite a shooting exhibition.

Also remember another episode where they were plantation quail hunting in the south and another character actor (can't remember name) with a double put on quite a shooting exhibition.
If ABC released those on DVD, I'd buy them. They were great shows.
-Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd buy the whole set!!! My favorite was Bing & Phil shooting Sand Grouse in Kenya. IIRC, they were shooting 28 gauge Superposeds.

sv

Sidelock
Sidelock

Andy and his wife both shot registered NSSA skeet. In my collection of Skeet Shooting Review, I have not located a picture of either of them with an identifiable shotgun. "Wait for me, Wild Bill."

Sidelock
Sidelock

They're out there on VHS. With VHS tapes selling for a buck, you could hit a bonanza at a yard sale. They come up on EBAy occasionally.

I can remember renting a bunch of them 10-15 years ago. I like bird hunting, too, but I remember Jimmy Dean shooting a moose and shaking so badly he could hardly talk, Fess Parker taking a grizzly in the middle of a stream, Peter Fonda shooting caribou, etc.

This one is currently out of stock on Amazon.com...

American Sportsman : Bird Hunting

Hosted By: Curt Gowdy. Winner of 14 Emmy Awards, The American Sportsman series takes to the land, sea and sky in pursuit of outdoor adventure. In Bird Hunting, Andy Griffith and Sam Snead set their sights on snow geese. Bing Crosby takes aim at sand grouse in Tasmania, and Bear Bryant bags pheasant in Alabama.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow!! What a wonderful show. I used to really love Curt Gowdy. I can't remember all the guests but I do remember Jimmie Stewart. I believe I have a picture of him shooting trap in a magazine somewhere. Curt really brought the shooting sport to life. Thanks for the enjoyable memory.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The American Sportsman, great show, sometimes. One episode showed Curt Gowdy and his son/s stopping by a Wyoming stream and Curt says "this looks like a good place to fish", the boy cast out and on the first cast pulled in a very large trout. I turned it off.
Another time they were filming Joe Brooks, legendary fly fisherman, on a stream in N.J., the Muskenetcong River outside of Hackettstown. I was involved with a group of fly fisherman trying to make one stretch of the "Musky" No-Kill. They brought Joe in and fenced an area of the stream and stocked larger trout than would ever be put in there. Local people told the producers that you better not air that or there will be an uprising.
Joe later went and fished arm and arm with the locals below a dam. They aired that and showed him catching a few 9-12" trout.
Most of the shows very very good as there was no hunting and fishing shows on especially here on the east coast. Do-gooders ruined it after.

You had to love Redd Foxx pheasant hunting.

Last edited by JDW; 12/18/08 04:49 PM.

David

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.