May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sandlapper, PALUNC, fallschirmjaeger, Jtplumb, smlekid, 1 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,659
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#122674 11/21/08 05:37 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I’ve had several emails asking about how I take pictures. My camera is a Nikon digital SLR D70s with a 60mm Micro. All pictures are shot using my old Bogen tripod, the camera is on manual I’ve never shot a single picture in automatic. All pictures are shot using the timer, hands off the camera or tripod. I am now using four, ECA 250 watt 3200K lights reflected off two half round sheet metal reflectors that I had made at the sheet metal shop. The inside surface is painted with a flat white paint, the top light is defused and the bottom not. Both lighting sets are on a rheostat. I have modified a camera tripod to take different size (caliber) polished steel rods and the rifle is held in the vertical position. Behind the tripod is a pull down flat white window shade that I can roll up when not using. I have hung a white sheet on the ceiling loosely with it pined over the center of the tripod to better defuse the light. The camera stays on the tripod and I remove the memory card and plug that into the reader connected to my computer.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The raw picture as it comes from the camera.

I’ve cropped the picture and cut the tripod out of the picture.

I now add background color if needed using Photoshop.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

I don't pretend to take photos as good as yours, I have a 5 year old "prosumer" Canon G3 which gets the job done for the internet. I use a Mac and have an old copy of Photoshop and a good friend on cal who has made a living for 25 years photographing shiny things (tableware, glassware, etc,).

I just wanted to let you know that my camera came with a program called Remote Capture, I have it set up on an old iMac dedicated for photos. The camera is on the tripod, a cable from the camera to the iMac computer. All functions are controlled at the keyboard, including all manual settings, zoom, macro, white balance, aperture, shutter speed, stops and the shutter. There is a viewfinder image on the computer screen. The image is downloaded directly onto my hard drive with a preview so I can re-shoot immediately if necessary. the only thing you need to touch the camera for is aiming.

I know that there are professional programs that do this (my friend uses one) and I don't know if Canon's Remote Capture can be used with other camera's but it certainly is worth a try.

Something you might want to look into. A lot easier than using a timer and a card reader.

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rob, Those are nice clear pictures and look nice. The remote Capture sounds interesting if my computer was anywhere near the camera. I do have a lap-top and I have a cable to connect the camera to the computer but have not tried it. I shoot pictures about the same way I did with my old SLR shooting B&W, run off a bunch and pick the best. I've been experimenting with lower light and very-long exposure to capture the grain of the wood better, not sure if I'm just fooling myself or not but they look better to me.

SDH, If you have the time your input would be most welcome on this subject.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I said on the stain thread, I've been off hunting...
Rob, you pics are good, good tip on the old Imac, which I have.
Any time you can get the rifle off of the background you will eliminate shadows. More later, I just got back today. Here' a pic of me & my set-up as taken by a Billings Gazette staffer, Larry Mayer, a real pro photogapher.

Here's a link to the newspaper story.
Gunmaker Story

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Another thing that I should say is that the room I take the pictures in has overhead florescent lights and if I forget and leave them on the pictures never look right. Just a little thing but does make a difference.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Mike, I got the Sprfld sight base today! THANKS!

I burned all of my email and addresses last week so anyone wanting to get email from me should please send me one. It was a totally bonehead move and entirely my own fault.
Much appreciated,
Steve
sdh at montana.net

Florescent turn everything green, but if I leave one on in the far back, it will make the blue tones really pop!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is the one I found, if anyone has questions, ask.

Another thread,

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...=true#Post91946

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Michael.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All I have is a real simple Casio pocket camera.

But if I shoot outdoors and get the right angle while holding still I sometimes get a good shot:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.