April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, skeettx, Jimmy W, Hugh Lomas, Argo44, 1 invisible), 860 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,831
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike Yardley is currently shooting a pair of Beretta 28-bore o/u guns - predominantly driven pheasants and partridges.

The last time I watched him shoot, he killed five good, driven pheasants for five shots and then sleeved his gun.

Sir Joseph Nickerson famously shot admirably with a trio of Purdey 28-bore over/unders.

This suggests that in the right hands, a 28-bore is a viable tool for killing driven game at normal ranges, but Mike shoots with tight chokes and, when called for, loads of up to an ounce. An ounce is all I ever use in my 12-bores.

I personally do not share the fad for small bores, believing the 12-bore to be the best suited to taking most game and providing more choice and better value in vintage gun buying.

However, if you wish to shoot game at normal ranges with a suitably loaded 28-bore, the evidence suggests that it is a reasonable thing to attempt and since this is a matter of personal choice, why not- and good luck!

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gauge matters very little. An appropriate shot charge through an appropriate choke is what matters. After that, the question is: does a smaller than normal/average/recommended shot charge through a tighter than normal/average/recommended choke(tight enough to produce a lethal number of hits on the target with the reduced number of pellets) make a pattern of a size with which you can be reasonably assured of hitting the target. I assure you that Mike Yardley and Dig Hadoke can be successful with smaller patterns than can most shooters.

Shot charge weight, shot size, choke, and target area are bound at the hip. Ask yourself if you have the skill to ethically shoot at a living target with X/8 oz shot which will allow y% of the aiming error of the normally recommended charge.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is your daughter a better shooter than you are JAS?

Last edited by Drever2005; 11/27/06 11:08 AM.
jas Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not sure, she has only shot trap two times. At the turkey shoot she put me out twice, but she shot after me. We were in Sweden visiting Relatives in Tjorn in Sept. It was a wonderful experience. Hope to return for a moose hunt with them.
jas
ps. The first time she broke one clay out of 25.

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.
Sidelock
Sidelock

One more time, as to the math. (.615/.550)²=1.25. Thus proportionate to bore dia a 1oz 28ga load is ballistically similar to a 1¼oz 20ga load. With longer shot charges efficient wadding becomes increasingly important to keep shot deformation at a minimum. 1¼oz loads in 20ga are put up in 3" cases. The 28ga standard was cut from 2 7/8" to 2 3/4" some yrs back, so to the best of my knowledge attempts of loading 1oz 28ga loads are all done in 2 3/4" cases. Space for good wadding becomes very limited. From a "Practical" standpoint unless your desire is for a gun of around 5¼-5½lbs, firing a 3/4oz charge, "All" advantage lays with the 20ga.
If, on the other hand, anyone enjoys walking the coverts with their 8½lb skeet 28, & handload it with only 5/8oz & it serves their purpose & they enjoy it, then walk tall & proud, it's no one elses concern. You wil though never convince me it is actually a "Better" set-up.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm currently infatuated with 20ga guns. Although I can see why some would find the 28ga attractive, I just don't see a practical advantage in going down from 20ga. It seems to me that there are many times fewer 28ga vintage guns than 20ga and even the 20ga guns are much rarer than 12 or 16ga. I can buy cheap ammo for my 20ga modern load capable guns. I do have some .410's when a steep challenge is what I want, so I'm just not all that keen on the 28g for those reasons.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I dunno chuck....I have personally never needed much reason to buy any gun! You wouldn't limit yourself to brunettes and blondes if a nice redhead showed up would ya?:)

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

You are Welcome JAS

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

You are Welcome JAS

I live in Gothenborg, it's near.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,
20 makes a hell of a lot of sense, and always has. The 28 makes lots of sense, too-for the gun builders that charge more for a gun in this gauge, ammunition makers, retailers, etc, you get my point.
I think a lot of 20s actually are too light, and would be better suited at 28 gauge at that weight, say, less than 6 lbs. M. McIntosh spelled out that his 28 was to weigh 6 lbs when he bought it, and a lot of 20s don't weigh that. I think that is where Gene Hill's famous (but, foolish) "20s are bitey" comment came from. Had he tried a heavier 20 ga. gun, lighter loads, or both, it may have made him a believer in the gauge, too.

You can find 12, 16 and 20 at my house of all different types, save autoloaders (for heathens). Using a 16 on real, wild pheasants last Friday, I had a big, tough old bird that took a centered hit of English 5s from my 16, which broke both wings, and penetrated both sides of his heart. He still ran like hell, and my little English Setter spent enough time and energy in pursuit that, when it was over, she laid down with the bird pinned under one paw in the corn and panted, unable to retrieve the bird to me (it was warm). Use enough gun. For late season wild pheasants, (reading this board I am begining to think real, wild pheasants are endangered, with all the talk of pen raised birds, which, is NOT hunting, not even close, which is what the original question was, I think) I don't think that gun is a 28.
Maybe grouse. Maybe woodcock. If you like spending more money, for less.
Best,
Ted

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.