April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (fullandfuller, Karl Graebner, CJF, 1 invisible), 1,036 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11966 11/27/06 02:22 AM
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm in need of some dog boots and I'm looking for recommendations. Just trust me on the fact that I need them. Chukar hunting in lava rock is hell on Vibram soles, let alone a dog's pads. I bought a pair of cheap Cabelas boots and they seem so poorly fit that they're worthless. I'm looking at the LCSupply.com site and noted the "Australian" leather dog boots which look promising.

Any recommendations?

Chuck H #11973 11/27/06 07:44 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,

I think for your type of hunting on lava rock the Australian leather will work best; however, they may wear out pretty fast. I ended up buying a bunch of tanned deer skin and making my own. It is not hard and they are cheaper, as well they can be sewn on a regular sewing machine. I have never used the Australin boots but the design I used is similar. I do provide a couple of holes for toe nails.

I would probably try the Cordura if I was still hunting in Texas. Here in TN briars and mud are my challenge.

Jim

jjwag69 #11976 11/27/06 08:53 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Take a piece of a light truck tire innertube and cut it so that it's length is enough to extend from well up the front of the foot down over the pad and the same distance up the rear, and wide enough so it gives your dog the protection needed. Tape it with adhesive tape once around the front piece and the leg to hold it on, then place the rubber over the pad and up the back side of the foot, being sure not to make it too tight, and tape around leg. Do this once on each leg and Voila! your dog is booted. Also a lot cheaper than stuff you can buy, and it works well. I've not geven any dimensions here, as dog breeds differ in size. I've seen these boots made out of bicycle innertubes, but they are too light for the purpose. -- Ed

Last edited by Ed Stabler; 11/27/06 08:58 AM.

Keep outa the wire...
Ed Stabler #11977 11/27/06 09:10 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

You have to get your dog used to them first. Many dogs don't take to them and a period of adjustment is needed. I've had clients who have made them as Ed suggests and it worked well for them. Velcro also works well for fastening and adjusting to leg size.
Give your dog some time though.

Last edited by drduc; 11/27/06 09:11 AM.

Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing
drduc #12005 11/27/06 12:27 PM

its easy and works in south texas . i use plan grey duck tape around the paw. several layers, also i have found its the easiest to use when i need it. seem to lose the boots every yr and got tired of replacing them. jjust wrap the paw 5 or 6 times. Works well with a lab! a Pointer may wear the duck tap out too quick though. My lab has never worn out the tape in one hunt .

Chuck H #12006 11/27/06 12:32 PM

Chuck:

Get the Lewis rubber boots and be done with it. They're a pain to get on and a nuisance in general, but fastened with vetwrap and duct tape (as described in the LCS catalog) they do the job. Have a good blunt-nosed scissors handy to cut them off with. I've tried everything else and found them lacking in one area or another.

Bill

Bill Janssen #12020 11/27/06 02:27 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

In warm weather the rubber boots get too hot, I have found. For a lab in colder weather, they are OK. I think the leather ones are the best but I would think deer skin would wear too fast. You could use it on the tops but I would use a 2- 2 1/2 oz split for the bottoms. I have used that for both tops and bottoms and it works. Make them high enough to be able to tape them. Use black plastic tape because it has some give and carry a roll with you. Carry an extra boot because he will lose one every now and then. The leather breathes. Don't forget they can't swim well at all with the boots on so when you get near H20 watch out.

[IMG]
gil russell #12028 11/27/06 03:41 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a set of Lewis boots size small. Don't fit any of my dogs so if someone would like them let me know. I have successfully used Lewis boots in the desert with GSPs before and they are the most common boot used in our Pointing Dog Club. Learning to tape them on so the dog doesn't throw them is the trick. Use some vet wrap under the boot with some adhesive tape over that (sticky side out) to adhere to the inside of the boot. Then over the outside of the boot some duct tape makes them pretty secure. I do like the inner tube suggestion, have to try that on the French Britany which has feet to small for Lewis boots. Leather doesn't seem to help with Cholla spines which is the real pain for the dogs. The Lewis boots work pretty well with the cholla, seems stiff enough to turn the spines away most of the time.

Jerry V Lape #12029 11/27/06 03:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry, I used the innertube boots on my Brits in the TX Panhandle with good success. It's really comical to watch a dog the first time you boot him/her. Give it a try. -- Ed

Keep outa the wire...
gil russell #12032 11/27/06 04:04 PM
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the recommendations. It sounds like I should try some of the ones you all have recommended and see how it works in my conditions.

I won't be within 50 miles of water when using boots on her. This area is in the Mojave Desert, a hellish place where the chukar hang out on the steep sides of mountains and hills covered in broken lava rock.

I ordered up some of the Aussie leather boots and some Lewis rubber boots to try out. I'll probably try making some rubber and some leather ones also. I've seen a hunter make some from innertube and duct tape for his Lewellen on the side of the mountain. Seems that innertube will last half a day or so.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.