May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (AaronN, Ted Schefelbein, Argo44, Wild Skies, 2 invisible), 413 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,762
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#118596 10/25/08 05:57 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just got a Brownell's Thin-bit screwdriver set. They are very thin, but not thin enough for some screws on my Grulla or my Lebeau. I am aware that they can be ground thinner, but does anyone know of a set for sale anywhere that has thinner bits than those? The thinnest ones in the set are .020"
TIA. Joe

Last edited by Joe Bernfeld; 10/25/08 05:59 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, I doubt that you can find anything thinner than .020". You may as well resign yourself to grinding. Some gunmakers seem to take pride is seeing how narrow they can make their screw-slots. Makes one want to strangle them.
nial

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might try a set of watch repairer's screwdrivers. They can be picked up quite cheaply. The set of 8 that I have go from 2mm. to 0.7mm. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Lagopus,

I believe they are talking thin, not narrow.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the Wheeler Engineerng 72 pc set and am more than happy with the different selection of widths and thicknesses.
From what I have read about the European guns is that the screws are thinner in the slot area than most of the American guns.
I have recently acquired a Greener circa 1892 and wanted to look inside to inspect everything. Found the bits that fit the narrow slots and could not break some of the larger bottom reciever screws loose. So left them alone.
I don't know what they used to do the job, but ater this many years it is possible that moisture worked it's way to the threads. Might need some pentetrating oil and try again.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lads, whenever I need a certain sized driver I consider it expendable and grind it to fit the slots. German guns have notoriously thin slots so I might use the driver only once. A better way of going about it is to buy oil hardening drill rod (Cheap from Enco.com) and form your own bits with the belt sander or Dremel Moto-Tool. Heat treat them once ground to proper shape by heating cherry red with a propane torch and quenching in any kind of oil (I use drain oil from my car). Draw the temper to a straw color or light brown, requench and you are set. Keep a bunch of such bits near your drill press where you can chuck them up and hand turn the subject screw out by using the quill feed. A cheap, easy way to make a bunch of unique bits. Chopperlump

Brownells sells a little grinding wheel that fits in the drill or drill press. They are extremely easy to use at slow speeds and will do the job you want.

Lenard

Sidelock
Sidelock

You will have to grind them. I just purchased some buffalo horn turnscrews and had the fitted to the individual screw.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought that you might be after some smaller drivers for inside the locks. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brownell's sells, or used to sell, a set specifically designed for the A-5, along with the caveat that they weren't warrantied against breakage. Some of the A-5's I've had apart leaned toward very thin slots. You might try a set.
Jim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.