April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (ClapperZapper, Hal M Hare, Jimmy W, 3 invisible), 215 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,461
Posts545,005
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Destry's stuff is the right stuff, plain as pudding as good writing should be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

IMHO-
I'm sure many of us have noticed some awkward or frivolous portions of some submitted articles…but I find that I enjoy the articles more when I read them as an enthusiast instead of an editor.- Doug

Last edited by Doug Waterman; 10/07/08 03:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Joe-

I agree with you 100% - the writing stinks. It always has. I don't think they do any copy editing and a lot of the writing reads like filler that's there to fill in the spaces between the ads and pics.

I almost never read the articles. I just skim them for info.

That being said, the pics are nice and I have learned a lot from the mag. I own every issue and I'll keep buying them as long as they come out.

OWD

Kind of like "National Geographic". I do love it though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Joe-

I agree with you 100% - the writing stinks. It always has. I don't think they do any copy editing and a lot of the writing reads like filler that's there to fill in the spaces between the ads and pics.

I almost never read the articles. I just skim them for info.

That being said, the pics are nice and I have learned a lot from the mag. I own every issue and I'll keep buying them as long as they come out.

OWD

Sorry.

Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

In my experience, the few times they editted something I wrote they changed the meaning and introduced mistakes into the article. They terribly screwed up the information in the article on the BE-Grade Remington in the previous issue, and now I hear from Charles Semmer that they screwed up the correction in this issue!! Still, I think we have to give Dan some credit for giving us a magazine for our passions. I've dropped Upland Almanac, Sporting Classics, and Shooting Sportsman.

Sidelock
Sidelock

King,
Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow. Tough crowd!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

PS DGJ didn't arrive yet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Researcher, proper editing consists of submitting the revised material back to the writer for approval before printing. It's the give and take of the two that results in a quality product. I learned this long ago when I worked for a editor of the Farm Journal. I would write, he would correct and organize, then I would argue for original intent, etc. In the end we'd have a polished article. It took time but it was worth it.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

It happens elsewhere as well.
I have had errors of spelling, fact etc, as well as awkward expression introduced into each of the manuscripts I've submitted to a local publication. Hunters and shooters in Aust generally bemoan the lack of consistent quality in the limited Australian hunting and shooting press. There's good stuff there, but a lot of dross.

I personally love DGJ, and it is miles ahead of anything we have in Aust.
RG

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.