March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I plan on getting a letter at some point for it. Colt seems to want a lot for their letters compared to some. Whoever had it originally had good taste, and aside from the bad restock job on the buttstock the metalwork is still in fine condition.

Here are a couple more pictures of it.

Last edited by Alex Johnson; 10/05/08 04:48 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Yes, now that I've seen the pictures, I would want a letter even more. A friend took a shot in the dark and requested a letter on a lower grade gun with a very low serial number and found that it was a presentation to a Colt attorney. Your gun has more clues than just a low serial number. The high grade and the initials make it worth the cost of the letter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey, I have vintage Smith-Corona, ole' paper, ink tape plus vivid imagitation. May I offer my assistance?

Sidelock
Sidelock

My FE grade Lefever has a stock oval with the initials CCB engraved on it, and I bought the gun from CCB's son-in-law. He related to me the story of how upset his father-in-law was during an early 1960's house fire and how he was imploring and directing the firemen to concentrate their efforts on the part of his home that held this gun. I'll assume the wife and kids were already safely outside. Ol' CCB was my kinda guy and obviously took care of his gun. His initials are engraved rather lightly and could be easily struck off and replaced with my own, but I would never do that to him.

Last edited by keith; 10/06/08 02:16 PM.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In 1978 I went to a store in Atlanta, Ga. called Atlanta Outfitters, Fine Guns Ltd. (as I recall) They had the best collection of fine guns I have ever (before or since) seen in one place. I recall a boxed set of H and H doubles. One in 375 and the other in 303. They were asking $25,000 for the set with all the cleaning rods, oil bottles etc. When I turned around, there was a Browning Superposed with a gold inlay of Elvis Presley. It was marked $35,000. Quite frankly, I almost puked! Needless to day, at the time, I could afford neither. But if.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

That Super might have belonged to Elvis at one time, Tyler. He had one made up for himself that Galazan was selling a few years ago. But I don't know if that was the same one or not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to agree with Tyler on his comment regarding Atlanta Outfitters; they had the most amazing display of high-end, high-dollar double guns I've ever seen in one shop. I believe it was 1977 when I first visited; and fresh out of college and with two infant sons and a wife, I couldn't have afforded a "just lookin" cover charge had such been assessed to enter. But the display was absolutely awesome; and although I can't recall everything I saw, nor had enough double gun education at the time to fully appreciate most of what I did see, I can remember cased high-end Prdeys and Holland and Hollands (one of which was a double rifle in .22 rimfire), several high-end Francottes in 28 and 410 bore, a row of Parker .410s (I counted no less than 15), a Parker A-1 Special, a Smith DeLuxe, and President Ben Harrison's Optimus LeFever (and I remember well its shocking price tag of $100K!). I don't know what happened, as they weren't in business very long; but I wish I knew then what I know now about double guns so that I could have fully appreciated all the wonderful guns I held and admired.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I still have the Atlanta Outfitters list of Parkers, complete with serial numbers. One of these days, I'm going to compare the serial numbers of the A1 Specials and high grade .410s and 28s in the list with the Serialization List and see how many started life as VHEs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy, that gun had been made for him. I am sure there was only one person with that much money and that little taste. I would certainly know it if I ever saw it again. Like topgun, at the time I could not afford anything there, just tried not to drool on the floor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I gathered enough change for that wonderful 7&1/2" Colt Bisley 32WCF and went to get it. It was made in 1907 and the barrel was mint on it, but original? hombre who owned it left a mark on frame under grip Arbuncle? Oregon 1912. Shit, that day I wished my last name was Arbuncle, but it ain't and he was no "bro" either.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.