Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it depends on more than one thing. As others have posted, if the person were somehow prominent or famous, the value could increase. But not necessarily.

Also, I think it could devalue a gun significantly, if the engraving of the name were done exceptionally poorly and somehow distracting, such as inordinately large or in a very conspicuous location, etc, etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a R Grade Baker that has someones name engraved on the trigger guard. I oft think when I take it out in the field he travels with me. I would like to think he is pleased to share those days with me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the engraved/inlayed name, signature, or initials are factory original to the gun; and not something added aftermarket, they certainly do not make the gun any less collectible, desireable, or valuable regardless of the fact that the original owner cannot be identified. In the situation whereby such personal markings can conslusively link that gun to a celebrity or famous individual; values are most definately increased, as we have seen with guns owned by Teddy Rossevelt, Annie Oakley, and many others. I recently saw a Smith gun that originally belonged to the famous explorer, Admiral Peary; and one would certainly be correct to assume that his gold inlayed signature on the trigger guard increased its desirability and monetary value. But even in a worst case senario where the original owner's ID cannot be easily ascertained, such personal markings do not impact a gun's value and desireabilty as a shooter. I am aware of instances where reseachers finding such guns are often intrigued to the point of purchase by the possibility of those identifiers being the key to discovering a guns interesting history. Over the years I have personally witnessed and experienced dealers discounting the value of a gun offered to them by a seller because it had an owners initials engraved on the stock shield. In my opinion, such dealings are a bit under-handed as I don't believe anything so insignificant has ever detered anyone from buying what was otherwise a desireable gun; but to each his own, as everyone can make his own determination in that regard.

Last edited by topgun; 05/08/08 01:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Nitro Express
U find a classic American double gun and it has name of original owner engraved on the barrel or triggerguard. The person is regular citizen not well known. Does that make the gun more or less vbaluable or same as if the name was not engraved?

The question is not about a famous person, or initials on a stock shield, or inlayed gold...making the answer still 'less', IMHO.

Always looking for small bore Francotte SxS shotguns.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, I quess the new owner of the Admiral Perry gun able to finally get the trigger guard for it. The last time I talked (emailed) he didn't have it yet. I'm glad if he finally got it.
I know he was sending it to be looked at here in Pa.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, I saw the owner in March and he does have the original guard with Peary's gold inlayed signature. He is addressing the broken stock at this point; and hopefully we will all get to see the restored gun and read the story in the near future.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't contribute to this thread, even though I have a strong opinion that provenanced guns are of great interest to serious collectors, regardless of the magnitude of the provenance. By the way, the Peary gun is finished, I have seen it, it is wonderful, and I think it's provenance adds multiples to that particular gun. Some guns, like those of Annie Oakley, are also increased in value by multiples. Some, previously owned by lesser known individuals, are increased in value somewhat less, but some nonetheless.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't see this thread when I started. I have a Baker Paragon with the, I assume, original owners intials on the trigger guard. Very ornately done. I will always wonder who the guy is, but I personally don't think it has in this case, it has any deterent on the value at all. Would the intials GAB on this early Baker mean anything to anyone here?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The origional trigger guard was badly broken and a like new origional guard was sent to me along with a picture of the original guard/signature. A few weeks later I finished inlaying the name and sent it back. Great pains were taken to exactly duplicate the Adm. signature --- it was inlayed with 24ct gold. FWIW

Last edited by Ken Hurst; 10/03/08 01:34 PM.

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it also depends on HOW it is engraved on the gun. If it was done with an electric Vibra-etch on any exposed area, it'll be worth less unless the gun is somehow historically significant and the Vibra-etch is part of the story (highly unlikely, but then stranger things have happened). If it was done by a very famous engraver and done very tastefully in terms of location and style, it may or may not add to value for the reasons others have stated.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.