May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, WBLDon, Jem Finch, 1 invisible), 871 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,400
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#114456 09/26/08 09:49 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It seems that I have been successful in my bids for two 1900'ish rifles today. I'm looking for dies and brass for a .318 Westley. I've located brass at Huntingtons for $50 for 20 and dies at Midway for $150. If you know of any cheaper I'd appreciate the info. Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Mike,

First, congrats on y'r new rifles.

Next: are either one Westley "take-apart" guns? The reason is, that a rifleman acquaintance has a stripped-to-the-wood 'take-apart' stock, but no hardware or action at all.

Brother board members provided us with fine catalog pics, so the general lay-out can be figured out, but a Mauser action is going to have be modified some bit in the floorplate/magazine mechanisms and configuration.

Acoording to the Agency manager, the vintage take-aparts are almost unobtanium, and he could readily sell a truckload, so to speak.

Anyway, just a long shot question here, but congrats on the .318.

Relax; we're all experts here.
JohnM #114464 09/26/08 11:25 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John the .318 is a Mauser take-apart. Don't know who made it as of yet. It's marked "Made expressly for Fereday & Sons Salisbury. But my guess is WR made it. It's almost identical in the photos to the WR 8mm. Hopefully, I can ID it by a mark or SN when I recive it.

http://auctions.holtandcompany.co.uk/asp...2&saletype=

http://auctions.holtandcompany.co.uk/asp...5&saletype=

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for the pics. They look like new fun, to me. Older rifley-things are great fun to get working.

The take-apart pictured appears to be more of the 'universal' version, where the bbl separates/unscrews from action and the forestock stays attached to it.

The WR version, separates the entire stock from the entire bbl'd action.

The bbl is secured in the fore-end by a steel underlug, pierced by a half-winged captive thru bolt. There are sideplates on the forend to locate and keep stable the fastening apparatus. The receiver ring lug just sits in its mortise, with no bolt coming in from the front of the trigger guard. Spin out the fore-end screw, and the bbl is free.

Instead, the floor plate & magazine assembly is truncated by a slanting cut, which also removes the front guard/action screw. The 'unitized' arrangement apparently allows the bbl'd action to lifted right out of the stock - magazine, floorplate and all, once the securing screw thru the bottom the wrist, into the action tail is released.

The vintage catalog pages show the general idea, but the details aren't that readily apparent.

However, the idea must have worked, as the inletting shows no battering, which is better than can be said for the stock exterior. Bubba, careless files and coarse sandpaper have been there, on the lovely smokey walnut. Restorable, but werry, werry slowly and carefully, with some exterior repairs as well.

Will look forward to seeing your progress and results, as time allows.

Sidelock
Sidelock

IIRC, the .318 is not very different from either the .30-06 or the .338-06. "Ken Waters' Pet Loads", 6th ed., has case forming instructions on p. 1010. You will probably need the FL dies and a tapered expander pin to make the case from .30-06, and you may need to trim the cases, but that is all there is to it. UNLESS you have one of the odd square-shouldered .318 WRs. If you have a square shouldered chamber, that should confirm manufacture by WR, but I do not know what you would do about reloading.

My first suggestion would be to see if an empty .30-06 case will chamber. Use a new case if you have one. If the case chambers, try firing a BLANK load, the sort used for the initial case forming of some wildcats. I would also suggest a chamber cast and slugging the bore. I suspect you will find a 0.330" groove diameter.

The .318 WRs claim to fame was a long 250-grain bullet. Bullets will be a problem. You will need to squeeze .338s down to .330, and that means custom bullets at $2 each or obtaining bullet swaging dies and a very powerful press to use them properly. About 20 years ago, I made some 250 & 275-grain bullets for the .338 from copper tubing and lead wire. I used a press intended for reloading .50 BMG and such cases and a 4-foot piece of steel pipe on the press handle as a cheater. The process worked, but only because I am reasonably strong. The same degree of effort may be needed to swage .338s down to .330. An arbor press (or the jack for your car) may be needed.

If you intend to shoot the rifle a lot and are not worried about collectability, you could re-bore & rechamber to .35 Whelen or maybe to .338-06. That would be a lot less hassle, but less fun.

waterman #114472 09/26/08 12:42 PM
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

or you could just buy them from woodleigh, they list them......

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
SKB #114477 09/26/08 01:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

What does Woodleigh presently use for bullet jacket material? 20+ years ago, Woodleigh bullet jackets were some sort of steel. A few shooters were unwilling to shoot those bullets in expensive rifles and my employer was investigating the manufacture of odd-size bullets from copper tubing and lead wire.

waterman #114482 09/26/08 01:18 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John I've seen WR takedowns with a similar system to the .318. I had a photo somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up. SKB I've found the bullets from Woodleigh also. I think I'll go that route.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My 'oopsie' in writing my sentence "WR's version', in such way that it appeared to exclude any other system than the one I described as a WR made take-down.

The catalog pics with which I am familiar, and some pics from the WR agency in the US, show the version I described as their 'Take-apart' rifle. Apparently it was a distinct enough system to have warranted it's own title and catalog page.

However, not being even remotely an expert on the subject, it would be sheer temerity on my part to declare anything authoritative on the terms or items, other than to report the information I rec'd.

Thanks for the future pics, as fine rifles are a real weakness of mine. As old Uncle Dick Harvey, shotgunner and muzzleloader builder, disdainfully says: "Y'r just a rifle loonie!"

In his world view, shotguns -- breech or front stuffers are the what REAL shooters should be interested in. He's just in the final stages of SxS flinter 12ga. "It's WIDE.", I innocently tell him. SNORT!!!!..indignation and blue-word combinations re-echo from his shoppe walls ;~`)

Now...a nice Purdey sporting rifle in .54 might be nice. In fact Jim Chambers makes a pretty nice kit, for a generic English gent's flinter.

See how this 'rifle thing' must be some sort of mental disability? It's just one innerstin' thing after another!!!

JohnM #114720 09/28/08 01:41 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's some 205gr Hornadys in .330dia intended for the 8x56R Mannlicher round. Probably a bit light in weight for the WR round but at least would make for some affordable shooting and practice.
>
http://www.grafs.com/product/188883
>
CH4D has 318Wesley dies..
...318 Wesley Richards Rimless 4 F $ 78.25 1...
http://www.ch4d.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.