March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 295 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend has a Model 1908 Mannlicher Schoenauer 8x56 ms , take down, that is missing it's clip. Can anyone give directions to where he might find one ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmm--do you mean it's missing the guts of its internal rotary magazine, or is he wanting a stripper clip to quick load that magazine?

Or is this not really an MS, but rather a sporter based on the Steyr 1895 action, which would require a clip, but probably wouldn't use 8x56 MS? You can find anything in European custom rifles, but the rimless 8x56MS would be unusual in the 1895- actioned Steyr; most of them would be 8x50R or 8x56R, wouldn't they?

If it's an MS and all the original rifle is there, you don't actually need a clip.

If it's an MS missing its magazine rotor and spring, that could get costly. Someone on the forum may know of a source and whether the rotor is caliber-specific (I.E. can you use the 6.5x54MS rotor for the 8x56? If so, you might look for a military surplus one from Springfield Sporters or someone with Greek military surplus parts).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, have you tried the gentleman at http://www.mannlicherschoenauer.com ? Paul Driscoll

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, it's missing the entire magazine. Nice gun, but just void of the magazine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yikes! I don't even want to think what it would take to fabricate that rotor..... Stoegers used to import the MS and had parts lists in the old Shooters Bibles. Wonder if there is anyone left who knows what happened to those parts when they dropped them (if they ever actually stocked them).

You need an MS expert, which I simply am not. Hope one comes along (any help from the German Gun Collectors Assn? Yeah, I know MSs aren't "German German," but they might know of a parts cache....).

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike and Paul, thanks. I am a bit hamstrung on answering questions on the rifle as I have not seen it and am not really familiar with the model. I'll forward your info to my friend, in Belgium, and hope something good comes of it. Daryl

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might take a look at the innards of an old Savage 99. There might be some ideas in there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The magazine assembly from a M1903 will interchange with the M1908. If you can locate a magazine assembly from a surplus Greek Model 1903 6.5M/S military rifle, you'll be most of the way home as they are the same as the M1903 commercial model as far as the magazine goes. The difference comes in the rotor which is machined for the specific cartridge. There is very little difference in the two, but placed side by side you can see the difference and it is primarily in the neck area of each cartridge carier on the rotor. Obviously the neck of the 8x56M/S being larger in dia. than the 6.5M/S, that portion of the rotor is slightly larger in it's radius cut. The portion where the cartridge body lays seem to be the same but the 8x56 may also be a bit larger as that cartridge has a slightly larger diameter but not by much. The neck angle does not appear to have to be altered or moved IIRC. The 8x56 cartridge does not quite lay horizontal in the 1903 magazine as it should (for perfect feeding) because 6.5 neck machined into the rotor is up higher than where a 8x56 neck area would be. I think a careful machinist could alter one with a properly ground ball end mill in the neck area of the rotor of each of the cartridge carriers of the 6.5 caliber rotor.
>
I can post some pics later on of a 1903 and a 1908 magazine with a 8x56M/S cartridge in place on each if it will help to better explain what I've tried convey above. I'll have to dig the pieces out of the pile first!
>
Springfield Sporters in PA has complete magazine assemblies for the military Greek 1903 as well as separate parts.
>
http://www.ssporters.com/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunsmith Steve Nelson (ex-sec'y ACGG) knows something about M/S magazines, he grafted one of the rotary magazines onto a Mauser 98 action. Calls it a Mauserlicher. He is in Corvallis, Oregon, email is nelsons-custom@comcast.net. I am sure he could adapt a Greek military magazine to the 8x56.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have have seen the Mauserlicher in person, He was one table over at our collectors show a few years back. Neat stuff.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.