May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (coosa, Ian Forrester, Tim Wolf, 1 invisible), 332 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,515
Posts545,684
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
rabbit #113616 09/21/08 01:44 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

if i remember it right, fitters at Perazzi had said that Bob Brister was xtrmly difficult to fit as he would adapt himself to the gun just shouldering it 2-3 times. which goes back to what i said: if you can hit well with it, it fits. even it if doesn't "fit" by the strict definition.

roger

rwmckee #113620 09/21/08 02:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

You have to have seen Bob on the range with his wood rasp to understand his fitting style.New nice wood and out comes the rasp after a few shots for abit of fitting then a few more shots and fit some more.Bob was a joy to shoot with or just be around. Even saw a barrel he bent once when rasping for hours served no improvement.Yes the barrel was ruined but the gun didn't shoot low anymore.

rwmckee #113630 09/21/08 03:51 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fnb25
only last week i picked up some new book on shotgunning by a writer i'd never heard of. thumbed thru it and in seconds saw a half page pic showing how to determine the correct LOP by placing the butt in the crook of the elbow, etc. immediately put it back on the shelf as i didn't care about anything else that writer had to say.

i don't think either method is valid. you obviously don't want your thumb hitting your nose on recoil but there's way more to it than that. there are too many factors involved to boil it down to something that simple.

i love the way the literature described a benefit of my fabarms o/u: you can adjust the LOP because the trigger blade is moveable. no, you can't. no matter where you put that trigger, on a pistol gripped gun your right hand pretty much stays put and the "real" LOP stays the same.

there's only 2 ways to determine if a gun fits: shooting (empirical) and fitting (somewhat empirical but also somewhat theoritical). if you can hit with the gun, it fits. if you can't, it might not or it could just be you.

roger

My responses to the above, with the utmost respect intended.
1st paragraph, I agree 100%.

2nd paragraph, Ok, but doesn't really say much.

3rd paragraph, absolutely agree. Sort of like my main shooting buddy who believes you can change cast by adding an adjustable butt plate.

4th paragraph, "if you can hit with the gun, it fits". Politely disagree totally with that one. I can hit targets with guns from 13" to maybe 15" but that tells you nothing about how the LOP should be determined and proves nothing. I would be much more comfortable with the 13" LOP than the 15". For me, 14" works best.
AND, SURPRISE, SURPRISE! Just checked my guns using the crook of the elbow method and my 14" LOP guns fit that way too.
It's still not the best way to do it, IMO. Even though it may work sometimes. It's like using a dime to tell if a 12 ga. gun is choked full.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 09/21/08 10:38 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Jim Legg #113640 09/21/08 05:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe he was looking for the quicky fit system not the proper fit one we all know about. The best quick way is ask for a tape and messure the stock. If its close to what you shoot go for it

Sidelock
Sidelock

i confess i've never once actually measured that distance. from the crook of my elbow to the first joint of my bent trigger finger is actually about 13.75". maybe 14" but not more but that's fibbing. i like LOP to be at least 14.5" and 15 is fine. straight hand guns 15 at least. i will also admit tho, living here, that i very seldom have occasion to shoot in anything more than a light jacket so bulky clothing isn't an issue. the last model 21 i had was only 13-7/8 over a non-original pad and i couldn't hit squat with it. the crescent arms i got from my dad is more shootable. my model 11 is 14" even over an non-original pad and it works fine. the curvature of the grip has a tremendous about of influence on what length really works. but out of about 30 shotguns (i trade a lot) over the last 3 yrs that i've been keeping track, the longer the LOP within reason the more easily i can hit with it and the greater the pitch the more i miss.

roger

rwmckee #113820 09/22/08 03:57 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rabbit may be worth listening to?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Crook of the elbow has served me well, just as 1 1/2-2" from nose to knuckle is another, but they are just rules of thumb for LoP, and LoP is just one variable in a whole bunch of them. Proper fit is a complex subject, but can be as simple as "It feels comfortable, puts the rib centre and just under my eye every time, and I shoot it well, consistently".
RG

cadet #113835 09/22/08 08:26 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I'm not Tiger Woods so I must not be much of a shooter. I like my guns to fit 'reasonably well'. I wish I were an expert shooter and could shoot anything well like Greg. Maybe in another life.

LOP is not the most important of the dimensions for me as long as it is in a range that doesn't cause me to hang up during the mount or have my nose smacked. Drop is probably most important to me.

Chuck H #113843 09/22/08 09:35 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Depends on how open my stance is and that depends on what I'm shooting at as well as what style of stock (trap, sporting, game) and what the weather is (jacket or no?). I should add that all stocks touch my cheek first and my shoulder then tucks in behind the stock.

Chuck H #113844 09/22/08 09:40 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
LOP is not the most important of the dimensions for me as long as it is in a range that doesn't cause me to hang up during the mount or have my nose smacked. Drop is probably most important to me.

Agree 1000%!

Also agree with Jack/Salopian.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.