March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (SKB, Stanton Hillis, Jeremy Pearce, Sandlapper, 2 invisible), 545 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,339
Posts543,415
Members14,386
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What would be the proper paper or brass shells from this period? How were they packaged?
What would the boxes look like? I'm interested in this for ten ga shells, I don't know if there was a difference in looks or styles between the gages.
Where could I find info on this period for loading tools?
Thanks,
Chris

Sidelock
Sidelock

There's a book sold through http://www.soldusa.com that pictures a lot of the super vintage shotshell boxes.

And for the ammo itself I'd suggest Winchester Shotguns and Shotshells by Ronald W. Stadt as a place to start.

Also the new Parker book by Ed Muderlak is full of shotshell history though it deals more with the earlier types.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

The book, "Collecting Shotgun Cartridges", by Ken Rutterford is the best reference book in relation to British shells.
Try Gunnerman books @ 248-608-2856.
10 G; Shells of this period were drawn brass,or paper tube with over shot card wad and rolled edge closure.The shell base was almost always brass,stamped with the gauge and makers name. Boxes were two-piece construction.The overshot wad usually carries the shot size,whilst the paper tube,in most cases gives the makers name and is often accompanied by a brand name. The top half of the box normally incorporates an impressive makers label.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I can add a question of my own ... at that period (1880-1900) did most of the hunters use factory shells or reloads? And did those shells come from big loading companies like today or were loaded by gun stores?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of folks rolled their own in those days though factory shells were available.

And it was both, there were big companies loading but also gun stores and other proprietary loaders as well. I've got lots of stuff in my collection loaded in cases from the big companies but the overshot card shows it was loaded by somebody else.

My best one is a french pinfire case with an overshot card from a sporting goods outfit in New York. Only American (semi-factory) loaded pinfire shell I've ever heard of.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chris Schotz
What would be the proper paper or brass shells from this period? How were they packaged?
What would the boxes look like? Where could I find info on this period for loading tools?
Thanks, Chris

Go to eBay and find Abby Books/Corrnell Publications or check out her website: abbybooks@comcast.net

Abby has reprinted about 1,000 old guns and ammo catalogs. A wealth of info. The Parker Bros catalogs of the 1880s pictured a whole line of loading equipment.

By the late 1880s, paper shells dominated. Unloaded "shells" were in boxes of 100; loaded "cartridges" were in boxes of 25 because of weight. I believe the first factory loads were marketed in about 1885; before then, home-business loaders like Peters and Von Lengerke bought empty shells and sold loaded ammo locally. Keep in mind that rail rates were weight sensitive and a box of 100 loaded shotshells at 1 1/2 oz would have an incremental 10-plus lbs of lead, wads, and powder.

By the way, ten-bores started going out of fashion in the late 1880s, and by 1900 comprised only 2% of Parker Bros production, thus 10-bore collector ammo starts to diminish in proportion to other bore sizes after 1890. But it's not rare.

Destry is right about my new book. So much has been written about old shotshells and boxes that I limited my chapters on the topic to the seminal ammo of the 1860s and early 1870s, where the info is all but nonexistent. There was a "chicken and egg," which came first? situation with the post-Civil War American-made breechloaders. Of necessity, the makers had to literally invent their own ammo, which quickly went out of production when the early guns failed for bad design or financial reasons, like the Panic of 1873.

Action configuration and chambering standardized in about 1873 along the lines of the "tipping-open" Parker, which was the only surviving 1860s maker of commercial quantities of central fire breech-loading shotguns. The first year UMC made a paper shell was, coincidentally, 1873, and paper shells from then are headstamped "Parker Bro's Meriden Conn." UMC also made the "Parker's Patent" Berdan-primed brass shells with Parker's headstamp, and green-labeled shell boxes exist in collections with Parker's label pasted over UMC's.

However, almost every brass shotshell owned by collectors post-dates about 1877, when the tooling was designed to extrude a one-piece shell with a thick base to withstand the hammer smacking the Berdan primer against the built-in nipple, while as part of the same process making the extruded tube walls thicker at the base and thinner at the mouth to seal the chamber. These post-1877 shells all have an inner ring on the base; the only example of what I believe is pre-1877 technology (extruded and "bumped" like rimfires, or assembled and soldered multi-piece), being a Parker 11B-size shell without the extruded inner ring, which is shown on page 544 (right) of The Parker Story. EDM

EDM

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.