April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (jake van dyke, 12boreman, fab500, Stanton Hillis, Southern Sport), 1,041 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome Back Glenn!
One time an engraver was upset with me because my photo of his work was shown on a magazine cover larger than life size?!?!
I'd sure like to see the the rifle as a whole? and hear some of the specifics.

Michael, Gunstock carving is old fashioned - and that one is more wonderful than tipping block German Shutzens. WOW!

I've got a new pre-WWI Mauser sporter by Schlegelmilch,Suhl, but it's all in pieces and parts on my bench.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Treblig1958, for info on the Win 1885, I suggest John Campbell's The Winchester Single Shot, Vols. I&II. Lots of data and pix; few errors or omissions. The Win Hi-wall variation is one super-strong invention; Johnny Browning was also an over-engineer-er it seems. I suppose you can blow up anything, but John Buhmiller tried REALLY hard with an old case colored Hi-wall and didn't succeed (Campbell V.II, pp. 43-46). Heat-treated blue ones should be stronger yet. Lo-walls are probably stronger than most think (my buddy and I used to shoot Win 1892 .44-40 Hi-Speeds, the ones marked "NOT for Model 1873 and Revolvers" in his Lo-wall regularly. And in my granddad's Colt New Service.).

For .25 Krag references, John Donnelly's Hndloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions shows all dimensions of three versions (.25 Krag original--probably Roberts', .25 Ackley Short, and .25 Ackley Improved). All have greater powder capacity than the .250-3000 (lots more) and the factory .257 Bob. The .25 Ackley Improved Krag has almost identical capacity to the .257 Ackley Improved Roberts, about 8% less than a factory .25-06. NOT "brush guns"!

I'm all for a single "shot/fine rifle" forum, obviously. I'll save my questions about your experience of single shot BOLT action rifles until then (talk about red-headed stepkids....).

My last word on THIS thread. ("It's been great fun, BUT it's just one of those things....")

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
I know that gun!

Well, I don't personally but apparently it is cased with mould and bullets and back in the day, some friends of friends thrice removed owned this rifle and did some bore, bullet and mould measuring for me and other that were reinventing wheels.

We are still reinventing but had a lot of fun speculating on the stuff with that rifle.

More pictures of any accoutrements (and dimensions!!!!).

Brent

Brent,

You may be thinking of another rifle. Several years ago at the Winter Las Vegas gunshow I found this rifle on a table, no case and no tools. It was several hours into the first day so I was broke by then. I talked a friend here in Anchorage into buying the rifle. I tried to find the original photo that the wood-cut was made from with little luck. I understand that the rifle will be in the new Remington Rolling Block book but I have no idea what is written about it.

Mike,

The .25-Krag that we know today was reported on by Ned Roberts in some early articles of his. I believe that the .25-Krag was developed by F.W. Mann circa 1903-06. A few years later A.O. Niedner brought out the .25 Niedner-Special known today as the 25-06.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Must be a different rifle, I never even saw a picture of it. But I do like this one a whole lot!!!

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it would be a great idea and I AM SURE MANY former and present members of the ASSRA Would greatly appericate it to be able to be involved with true gun lovers. Whitey

whitey #111307 09/05/08 09:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven, In case your getting out your carving tools, here is another view ;-).

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

SDH-MT #111321 09/05/08 10:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks again Mike for that great information, I need to start a whole new library!!!
Did anyone see that target posted by Mr. Petrov and his Sharps Borchardt 25 Krag!!!
Holy smokes anyone see that group at 100 yards!!!
Michael what is the rate of twist in that barrel and the type of rifling used??
And is it a custom barrel???

Ken Hurst #111327 09/06/08 06:22 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Hurst
I wonder if Dave would consider adding a forum for single shot & classic rifles to this web site. If any of the readers seeing this post agree, perhaps a poll should be started to feel out the present membership. A positive out turn might convince Dave to agree.

I agree.
After all, the publication most of us hold most dearly is devoted to them as well as double guns.

But you all must stop: I'm going apopleptic with envy, desire, lust and several other cardinal sins... I'm astonished at what members of this board own, and what they can do.
RG

cadet #111329 09/06/08 07:55 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cadet, You would be surprised at what many on this board can do --- even those that don't know it yet. A desire to creat something coupled with a mouth to ask for help (on this board) will bring tons of feed back. Over the years, I have suggested to clients that they prep their action prior to sending them to me in order to save money. Their reply usually is "I don't know how to." Once I explain "how" most of these folks usually do a repectable job which seldom requires much more than a hit & a lick of polishing before I start cutting design. I maintain that those looking for help will find it here. The end product of their efforts generally reflects their patience & dedication to quality work. Folks like me have the benefit of being able to practice seven days a week, 10-12 hours a day. Imagin how good you'd be if you spent the same amount of time practicing along with guidence .

I believe there would be a lot of new folks join our group "IF" they knew there was also an active group of classic rifle affinadoes here. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Ken Hurst #111364 09/06/08 12:14 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken if you can twist Dave's arm it would be great and am sure a lot of the ASSRA guy's would join. As they are hunting for the members that left. Whitey

Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.