May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (earlyriser, Dave Bulla, MattH, Lloyd3), 1,036 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,511
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

Excellent, 2-p!! I think we can add more to this model and refine it. Instantanious acceleration will be identical to instantanious pressure. Looking at time-pressure or displacement-pressure curves may give us a clue as to felt recoil. It may happen that we have to average pressure over some short time intervals to account for human reaction. Acceleration from a peak 7000 psi load is less than from a 9000 psi load.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jumping around a bit here, since I'm multitasking on a telecon meeting right now, but...on the topic of pressure working against the base of the payload vs. working against the base of the shell/breach: Is there any reason to believe there is any difference in how this accelerates the payload and how/if it is the element that accelerates the shell head/breach aft? I've always believed that the pressure was the force acting in equal but opposite directions, one against the payload and the other against the shell head. Where else would the opposing force act against?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, have you ever shot shells without shot in them? Is pressure less than when they do have their corresponding shot load? Does the gun recoil the same as when there is shot in the shell?

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: revdocdrew
GJZ: I can personally testify that the recoil in my less than 6# 1928 20g Trojan with chambers 2 7/16" using factory 2 3/4" Win AA 7/8 oz. target loads was absolutely brutal, and obvious to everyone observing on the skeet field. The perceived recoil with 1 oz. 2 3/4" 1150 fps. 16g loads in my 2 9/16" chambered 6 1/2# LC 16g was clearly less after lengthening the chambers. 1 oz. 2 3/4" target loads in my 2 1/2" chambered No. 2 frame 12g Trojan weighing 7 3/4# felt no different than 1 oz. 2 1/2" shells.
But my anecdotal data may not apply to other's experience, as I have a terrible flinch and am very recoil sensitive.

Drew, as Joe Wood's example of a Parker hang tag illustrates, it was not unusual for American gunmakers to recommend the use of longer shells in shorter chambers. In fact, as reported in a two-part article in The American Rifleman in the 30's--written by a man named Curtis who had worked for most of the major gunmakers for about 40 years--some American gunmakers intentionally short-chambered their 2 3/4" marked guns, because they found that slightly longer paper shells in slightly shorter chambers improved patterns. That's because, without the advantage of a plastic wad, one of the problems with deformed shot came when the shot charge exited the shell and came in contact with the barrel. If the case mouth opened slightly into the forcing cone, that offered some protection during the period of initial contact. It's no longer a factor, with plastic wads, but Curtis experimented with a Marlin 90 (starting with a 2 1/2" chamber) and found that the pattern percentage dropped as the chamber was lengthened.

Bell's experiments indicated that lengthening just the forcing cone--not the chamber--often resulted in a pressure reduction of as much as a few hundred psi.

The Brits regularly recommend the use of 67/67.5MM hulls in 2 1/2" chambers. This usually works out fine because the shells are loaded to CIP pressure parameters. However, both Thomas and contemporary writer Charles Fergus reported increased recoil and blown ends on hulls in older guns (I think all pre-1900) with very short and sharply angled cones. Using true 2 1/2" shells solved the problem.

One can always err on the side of caution, but even the SAAMI guidance posted earlier won't keep you totally out of trouble, unless you know how to interpret foreign proofmarks. There are certainly instances in which factory 2 3/4" shells should not be fired in guns with factory 2 3/4" chambers. It's unfortunate that it's not that simple, but unless you're talking strictly US guns and US shells, it's not that simple.

M&M Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hesitate to enter into a discussion where physics and engineers tread, but, here I go anyway.

Newton's third law of motion: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Years ago I had some contact with the 4.2" mortar and the 106mm recoiless rifle. The 106s were mounted on jeeps. When fired, the projectile left is such a hurry, a vacume was created, sometimes popping headlights and watch crystals. You could watch dust jump off the ground. Yet, the jeep barely moved. Why, as much energy went out the back of the rifle as out the front. The "four deuce", however, has a projectile you can follow with the naked eye for quite a while. I can also remember digging the base plate out of soft ground or firing a couple of rounds to "set" it in the rocky soil of Ft. Hood. That in my book is called recoil.

My point of all this is, the energy of a given projectile, depending on weight and velocity, is going to send exactly the same amount of energy the opposite direction, what I call recoil.

To me, increased pressure can only speed up the projectile, creating more energy, and the same amount of increase in recoil. I think we all pretty much agree, felt recoil can be mitigated by the weight of the gun, recoil pads, and anything else bleeding off the rearward thrust of energy. But, Newton's third law is still there.

As to Joe Wood's Parker tag, I believe all 2 3/4" shells of the period and later were paper and roll crimped. When opened they were 2 5/8".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don,
I think the pressure/recoil relationship may be something akin to BMEP as it relates to horsepower. Yes, they are independent; you can have low horsepower and high BMEP or visa-versa, but you can't have horsepower totally without BMEP... Increase BMEP and keep all other parameters the same and horsepower increases.

Last edited by Chuck H; 09/04/08 11:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"I hesitate to enter into a discussion where physics and engineers tread, but, here I go anyway."

Read my last Post in this Thread.-Dick

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 09/05/08 12:58 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, I agree that pressure and recoil are tied at the hip, but pressure alone is not a cause or indicator/predictor of recoil. M&M gave a very good anecdotial explaination of recoil vs pressure; he seems perfectly capable of treading along with physics and engineers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: M&M

As to Joe Wood's Parker tag, I believe all 2 3/4" shells of the period and later were paper and roll crimped. When opened they were 2 5/8".

It could be that old, roll crimped paper shells marked 2 3/4" were less than that length when opened. However, looking in my 1940 Shooter's Bible, I find no shortage of 12ga factory loads listed as "2 5/8", which was the 12ga standard until the 1920's or so. Not sure why Parker would specify on a hang tag that 2 3/4" shells are good to go in 2 5/8" chambers when there was plenty of 2 5/8" ammo available.

Sidelock
Sidelock

After reading all the posts referring to the length topic I have concluded that it is perfectly safe to use 67mm and even 70mm shells, loaded to CIP standards in my Manufrance Ideal proved to 1100 Kilos with 65mm chambers.

I had the daring some time ago to post this in the 16ga.com forum and was chastised by a pigheaded, opinionated and extremely impolite member there. I never visited again. As someone said you should not argue with idiots.

Bottom line, as Larry says, it depends on the gun and the load, not necessarily the length of the shell. And of course, if you are not sure better to err on the safe side.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.