April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jem Finch, 1 invisible), 809 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,839
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the buck I shot with black powder last year at 4 yards was close enough for a spear. Someday you may try pulling your head out of the sand and expanding that rather limited amount of knowledge you posses. While your at you may look into finding some manners.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I understand!!!
Your actions are set up for rimmed rounds and those are two of the best. Steve, you're getting some excellent accuracy out of that 30-40 Krag your own reloads I'm sure!!

SKB #110760 09/03/08 10:26 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think my manners are just fine...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't actually use a .30-30; I use .30-30 bullets in a .30-40 at .30-40ish speeds. Mainly because they are cheap and they work; at the slightly higher velocities (than a .30-30 factory load) they open up more reliably but at those moderate speeds they also still penetrate both sides of the critter. For some odd reason, I've never even owned a .30-30; don't know why. I don't like the Win '94 action much, but have seen plenty of '99s (which I do like) in that caliber....hmmmm, wonder if I could afford one? (Probably not.). My Hi-wall has its original Marbles tang rear, and I'm damned if I will mutilate an original Winchester with a scope mount. So when the front sight post needs to be as wide as the dovetail for me to get a sharp focus on it, I'll pass the gun on to a museum or something.

Why use "archaic" rimmed rounds? My Hi-wall was chambered for them; first smokeless factory sporter in the US. But even my Ruger #1s all end up chambered for rimmed rounds, except for a .250-3000. I'm a hunter, not a sniper. I get as close as I can--usually really close. Don't need a magnum, nor even a "hotshot" like the .250 most times. I could use my Martini .25-35 or my GP-100 for most of the deer and coyote shooting I do. To me a scope is a necessary evil brought on by my aging eyes. Don't need it for big things like deer (yet).

Guess I'm just a hopeless ballistic fundamentalist; hooked on "The Gospel According to Ned Roberts"! Many of the first generation of smokeless sporting cartridges have just the right combination of qualities for killing ordinary North American game at ordinary distances. And most of them are rimmed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, speaking of Ned Roberts, my late friend, rifle experimenter and Kentucky rifle authority T.J. Cooper, once gave me the Ned Roberts published reprint of F.W. Manns "The Bullet's Flight". I'm not much of a rifle guy, so it was a while before I leafed through the book. When breezing through it, a photograph fell out. It was a photo of NR on a deer stand in New England, New Hampshire I think. The note on the back of the photo was a personal note about (don't remember) from Ned to T.J. It was dated late forties I think. Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 30-40 Krag is a fine cartridge, I've owned and used the 30-40 Krag for many years. When I moved to Alaska I used a custom sporter 30-40 Krag with a Lyman Alaskan (2.5 power) in a G&H side mount, the rifle was also equipped with a Lyman 48 receiver sight. I used factory Remington 220 grain ammo and never felt I was under gunned, this rifle cleanly killed both Moose and Caribou. If I had not lost that rifle in a house fire I would have it today. I am building a Borchardt sporting (Zischang type) rifle and the caliber will be .30-40 Krag.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

eightbore #110793 09/03/08 01:18 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Mike, speaking of Ned Roberts, my late friend, rifle experimenter and Kentucky rifle authority T.J. Cooper, once gave me the Ned Roberts published reprint of F.W. Manns "The Bullet's Flight". I'm not much of a rifle guy, so it was a while before I leafed through the book. When breezing through it, a photograph fell out. It was a photo of NR on a deer stand in New England, New Hampshire I think. The note on the back of the photo was a personal note about (don't remember) from Ned to T.J. It was dated late forties I think. Murphy

Neat! Can you post the picture, I'm sure others besides myself would like to see it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The rifle I'm using for inspiration, the owner can tell you about it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for posting the photos, Michael.

The rifle is a military Borchardt action modified by A O Zischang with his DST and a neat little sliding safety on the lever (right at the top front of the bow). Barrel is a light sporter in .25 - 35. Post of the Lyman tang sight is in one of my boxes of parts - this reminder will start the search for it.

Stock is also Zischang. Note the very fine checkering as well as his lines. Top quality throughout!

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a beautiful forearm in particular.

The checkering is exquisit as well, but I really love the shape of that forearm!

Brent
PS. You guys need a new thread.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 7 of 19 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.