March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had the best opening day ever 14 yrs. ago when I hunted over a lowly milo field between Alvin, Tx and Santa Fe, Tx that day. I have been hooked ever since. The guns are cleaned and oiled and I'll be taking my newly acquired LC Smith #3 grade out to knock them down. The fields of recently harvested corn here in Red River Co.,Tx hold lots of birds. Happy shooting to you all.

RedofTx

Sidelock
Sidelock

Milo,soybean and rice oh my.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Found them in the fields Mike. We hunt about 15 miles or so southeast of Portales in the Arch Community. It is a special hunt they have been staging for almost 20 years now to raise money for their community and church. Yeah, the birds are released each night before the days hunt, but they still taste just as good and the food served at the community center for breakfast and lunch is hard to beat anywhere.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm loading my 2 5/8" brass shells for my old Parker hammer 10 bore with black power. I only have 50 shells so they get recycled often. The doves around here have moved off so I'll be going further afield. We used to have Quail around here but the only quail these days are released! I've been thinking about habitat restoration but it is a big job to establish the native grasses. One must get rid of the fescue first.
David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have been shooting a good bit lately, mostly sporting. Shot the NWTF tournament at The Meadows last weekend. Shot 400 registered targets. Leaving for Cordoba on the 27th to really get warmed up with the twenty ga. SP II. Will be on a field opening day here and will be just as happy with a limit of 12 (maybe 15) as with the bag in Argentina.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just today, got my invite for opening Saturday and Sunday in two different dove fields near Starke, FL. BBQ, friends, shotguns, dogs, kids, ribbing on misses...and after all is done...sunset with a sip of shine! It don't get much better!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never used decoys, but got some from Cabelas rhe other day, including some spinning wing decoys. Have them set up on 10 foot poles, they are so realistic, they even fooled 2 of our cats...Cant wait to see how they work on the real thing....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,
I found that concealment when using the decoys is important. Some camo and cover will go a long way to help make use of the decoys.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used decoys on doves for years, and have found that the best place ever to set them up is atop a center pivot irrigation system. Doves will light right beside them. Put up a Mojo with about three or four stills on each side and sit by the tire and you can limit all by yourself in a 100 acre field.

Make sure anyone around you knows not to shoot at a dove sitting on the pivot, though. There is a very expensive electrical cable with many conductors inside it running along the top of all of them, except the old water drives. Many have been ruined by stray shot. Matter of fact, don't even shoot in that direction.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Make sure anyone around you knows not to shoot at a dove sitting on the pivot, though.

Chuck H and Joe Wood please take note!

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.