March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know how you boys feel, that 11 hour flight from Houston to BA was torture. I just got back Sunday from a week long duck shoot.

But it was worth it, we really got into the birds and just had an absolute ball.

This may have been the best week I ever spent shooting in my life.

Destry

Last edited by MarketHunter; 07/29/08 04:17 PM.

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Destry, if you took any pictures we'd love to see them. The duck hunting along the Parana in BA Province is great isn't it? Just like our own waterfowl hunting but with an entire new line-up of species the migrate backwards and none of'em quack. They do decoy though and there are plenty of them, just so you have a bird ID book in hand to figure out what the heck they all are...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I took quite a few pictures, I'll post them when I get them back from the developer.

After a few days I got to where I could tell a lot of the ducks on the wing which was fun.

Those rosy bills sure make a racket when they fly along, all that grunting and squalling. Almost like an old hen mallard fussing at her brood.

They have 13 species of duck in that area and I managed to shoot nine of them. Amongst our party we got 11 of the 13 including a crossbreed rosy bill pochard / yellow billed pintail which was going to the museum up in BA.

What was really unusual to me was that you couldn't tell drake from hen in some of the species. I remember the first morning, I had quite a few southern widgeon in the bag and figured they were all drakes. When I asked the guide he said no, that the hens were just slightly smaller. Both the pintails and some of the teal were like that too.

Destry

Sidelock
Sidelock

How about the wing colors on those Brazilian Teal! Did you get to bring any back for the taxidermist?/Well you'd better not answer that...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those Brazilians were definitely wild looking, the first ones I shot came straight in and all I could see was those big red feet sticking out.

I didn't bring any birds back, just didn't want to go through the hassle. I know how to do it but it's a pain.

Destry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

We fly from Jax to Miami to Santiago to Cordoba. I don't mind the all night flight as I can sleep on a plane without much trouble. Lan Chile airlines is a first class airline (even tho' we fly turista class as well). Which outfitter did you use? We use Luis Sier. We've got a group of twenty leaving on August 27th, rented the whole La Paloma Riverside lodge for our group.

I'll bet you shot a whole lot more doves than those shown in that picture on a three hour shoot down there. Looks to be around 150-160 in that photo. I love it down there in late August/early September. Can hardly wait. I've got to order a couple ejectors and springs for my Silver Pigeon II Sporting 20 gauge to take, just in case.

George, that is exciting news on the dove limit. I just wish they would quit bustin' up the season so bad. Let it come back in at Thanksgiving and just stay in until the end of January. Man, I dearly love those cold shoots in peanut fields in the late season, when the big migratory birds have moved down and strafe the field in squadrons. I love dove shooting so much that I am prone to often go to one of my peanut fields and set up a Mojo dove and a few decoys along the top of a center pivot and sit by a tower all alone to get my limit. Just me and my yellow Lab, Fowler. It is nothing short of amazing how the decoys and Mojo will draw birds to me from all over a 100 acre peanut field.

Dove shoots with the "gang" are great fun, but there are times when nothing is more enjoyable than just being alone with your dog in a cold, windswept field trying to limit out on those little grey rockets.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, you feel it like I do...Geo

chux Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You guys are making me jealous! I will have to say, I have been on hunts in Bama where there was so many birds I literally had to let them fly over my head, or I would have limited in 15 minutes (and I am a average shot) Of course there is also those opening days where your lucky to shoot at 15 or 20! If I ever get together some "extra" income I will have to go on one of those Argentina hunts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Charles Arndt w/ Fin & Feather Safaris(Birmingham, AL) has some destinations in the North part of South America. Boliva and Ecuador are stable from time to time but Colombia can get rough. I'll agree that the trip South to Argentina/Chile can be taxing if the plane is 2 deep on the sides and 3-4 deep in the center. The bigger the plane, the better.

But the free range beef is excellent for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And if you dove shoot you'll need all that extra income to pay for all those cases you keep breaking into. I can't shoot ducks anywhere without the shoves following me. First crack out of the box on the first morning near the end of June, I down a Red Shove/spoonbill. I consider the teal and whistlers(ciriri) to be sporty shooting, but won't pass many times and sometimes not a all before they are in your mustache and on the water. But hunting, not shooting, Perdiz w/ a German Wirehair tops my list. That coupled w/ very sparce cell phone service, no tv; approaching getting back to basics.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 07/30/08 12:05 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan on that trip I went to Estancia Santa Ana. Very long (1-1/2 hours) drive to the dove fields. Excellent rooms, board and service. Lots of birds!

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.